Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
Anonymous
3189 Views, 105 Replies

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

Inventor 2012 is a poor attempt from Autodesk on an update.

Yes, the update features are "nice", but the amount of crashes and freezes per day (>20) makes in not worth using AT ALL!!!!

Sending reports to Autodesk get the standard automated responises - also not worth filling in.

IF ONLY Autodesk had the feature to DOWNGRADE files to 2011 then at least we would be able to work.

Autodesk, please do not use the WORLD as your BETA TESTERS.

From a VERY DISSAPOINTED (ex?)customer. 

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 21 of 106
sam_m
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting Dennis_Jeffrey that you onyl had 2 crashes in 6 months, even though you clearly use a "un-certified" screen card GeForce 9800GT-1GB

Please tell us where you got the drivers from, since according to Autodesk it is onyl WHQL drives that will be certified, and even though WHQL drives are freely availalbe for almost all GeForce cards they are NOT certified! 

why are you worrying about certified drivers????  With the move from OpenGL to DirectX there isn't the need for Autodesk certified drivers...  (and it's been this way for about 6 years now)

this has been explained to death...

tbh, if you're suffering 20+ crashes a day on multiple computers then I'd suggest it was the either the way the software has been installed or the upkeep of the machines...

Were all the installs as the recommended process?  (local admin with UAC off and virus scanner off?)

make sure ALL drivers are up to date - not just graphics drivers.  Sounds crazy but an old mouse driver has been a crash-problem in the past.  chech motherboard/chipset, sound-card, mouse, everything.

windows - is that up to date?  how about DirectX and .net?

how old is the Windows instal?  sometimes it's best in the long run to format the drive and start afresh.

I can completely understand regular crashing being a frustration and it being easy to blame the software, but if there was an issue this serious with Iv2012 then this forum would be FLOODED with topics like this, instead of just the odd one...  Sorry to sound blunt, but it may help to step back and think of the bigger picture - consider the number of users globally and the lack of crash posts every 10 mins.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 22 of 106
Martin_Goodland

What are the makes and models of the graphics cards in the two computers ?

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 23 of 106
kstate92

How about checking the RAM with Memtest?  Also odd no one has suggested interference from security (anti-virus) software either during the installs or operation.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 24 of 106
Anonymous

Your information on "certified cards" and drivers is several years out of date. Auodesk no longer certifies cards or drivers.

I get my drivers from NVIDIA downloads.See here:

4-9-2011-NG000084.png

I run Tekni brand computers which my company has built and provided to CAD users for almost 22 years. The systems are properly set up, burned in and software is properly installed.  It is very rare that I have a crash, and it's been that way since the very early '90's. We guarantee our systems to be stable with the software that is specified to run on that system.

But I'm not trying to sell you Tekni systems. Any system properly designed and built for 3D modeling, with properly installed and configured software should not crash. If it does, then you need to determine the cause and fix it. I invite you to discuss this directly with me. Please contact me with your telephone number, and best time to call and I'll help you. Email me at djeffreyATteknigroupDOTcom.

It's all about installing everything correctly, having quality components, and having proper login rights The best place to start is with information I've provided to all users:

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

Message 25 of 106
scottmoyse

Dennis just out of interest what do you mean by 'burn in'?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 26 of 106
prabakarm

We are sorry for the crashes you are experiencing.  Have you submitted crash reports.  If so we can take a look at help identify the problem. 

Thanks,

Prabakar

Sr. Product Line Manager, Inventor Products

Message 27 of 106
Orest_iy

So far I did not get to ammount of crushes produced by new 2012.. It simply does not open ALL my big main assembly files for several different projects. The graphic got better but sectioned parts looks like surfaces. The treatment Application Options-Hardware-Compatibility does not help as it did for 2011.The new context menu interface perhaps looks nice but on the assembly file I cant easily find requested option between parts. The context menu text got smaller compare to text height of browser menu and background is dark, on the 17" laptop I must stare close to screen finding something...  Waiting for Support answer. I have copied all my files before use of 2012 so have lost just a day of work and working with 2011 now. It is also cost me complette reinstallation since my Design Assistant 2011 stoped to work after the 2012 PDS installation

Orest

Message 28 of 106
Anonymous
in reply to: prabakarm

@prabakarm wrote:

Have you submitted crash reports.

Yes indeed, one of the major reasons that make me rate Autodesk service so high is because there's an actual, useful, reaction to crash reports - unlike what one may be used to from, say, Microsoft. Then again, I always figured that's what you pay for.

Especially if you have been submitting more then 20 a day... or haven't you? I figure that you get a lot of frustration from this all and needed a place to vent this - but personally I'd call it quits after far less crashes in a day and start looking for actual solutions... even if that means reverting to the last version that was stable.

Message 29 of 106
Anonymous

PC configuraton:

Iten Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2.5GHz

6 Gig Ram

Windows 7 64 bit

NVidia 8800GT 512 Meg screen cards X 2 in SLI

Henk 

Message 30 of 106
Anonymous

Nope, we did a clean installation of the PC with only Windows 7, the motherboard and screen drivers and IN 2012.

(NO anti-virus or anything else installed.)

The installation was done EXACTLY as per the instructions on http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html  

Within 20 minutes we got a crash on IV 2012 while editing a drawing.

The fault also occurs on other projects.

Any ideas?

Henk

Message 31 of 106
eman6398

I have been pretty lucky with my latest box. I have only had a hand full of crashes since loading 2012. I am not sure if it because we switched from nvidia to ati, or if its just a new machine. I know going from 3 gb of ram to 8 gb makes a huge difference, but i am pleased with what i have now. I also turned off the backround rendering, that seemed to crash my computer when working with a large assembly.

I cannot get use to the mouse gestures. (too many options to remember) the right click gets frustrating beacuse it doesnt seem to do what you want. the selection menu is tighter so it is tougher to click on exactly what you want. I do alot of right-click "e" or right-click "t" in drawings. i had to remove some options from the mouse gestures to get these to work.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 32 of 106
kstate92

A worthless opinion from a know-nothing, but to me this seems to scream bad RAM chip - maybe even on the graphics card.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 33 of 106
RobJV

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/Nvidia-SLi-Technology-inconjunction-with-Inventor-Simulation-...

(Not sure how accurate or if it can possibly affect things in a bad way but may be worth looking at?)

Message 34 of 106
Anonymous
in reply to: kstate92

I agree, it's time for some serious computer diagnostics on this one. My training room systems with 4GB RAM (Win 7 -64) have imbedded ATI 4250 graphics and we've not yet experienced a crash  an 15 of the 16 systems. The bad one had the MB, Power supply replaced, then finally went completely dead. Culprit? 1 4GB RAM board. Replaced it and all has been well for weeks.

Message 35 of 106
kstate92

http://www.memtest.org/

Let it run overnight.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 36 of 106
Anonymous

Good morning.

We've submitted > 30 error reports. We've given up since we onyl get the standard automated e-mail .

Henk 

Message 37 of 106
Anonymous
in reply to: kstate92

Thanx, but does not make sense that two compeltely different PC's with compeltely different hardware configuration should have the SAME problems if it was related to Video card RAM.

Henk 

Message 38 of 106
Anonymous

Correction, my draughtsman says he has submitted > 100 reprots already.

Henk 

Message 39 of 106
Anonymous
in reply to: RobJV

We're removing the one screen card now and will check how the machine runs.

BUT, on IV 2011, we never had these problems, even with the two cards running in SLI???

Henk 

Message 40 of 106
Anonymous

Nope, we removed the one screen card, but IV crashed again.

Henk 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report