Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
HenkdeSwardt6236
Message 61 of 106 (835 Views)

Re: Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

06-16-2011 09:20 PM in reply to: 2grumpy

Thanx.

We even re-insalled the PC completely - even formatting it and isntalling from  NOTHING. No improvement!

We're also on Win 7 64 bit. 

Valued Mentor
acwtzwegers
Message 62 of 106 (819 Views)

06-17-2011 01:03 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Could you have introduced (on a previous version) a "corrupting" element to your existing drawings by manner of scripting or PDM (Vault) database usage or linkage? Or perhaps some other reason that makes IV2012 not handle your existing projects? (like a past conversion out of SW, dead references etc). Perhaps you have overlooked such an option compared to just looking at IV2012 and/or hardware and OS?

A way to check would be to see if a project made purely, from the start, on IV2012 has as much trouble.

Active Contributor
HenkdeSwardt6236
Message 63 of 106 (809 Views)

06-17-2011 02:17 AM in reply to: acwtzwegers

Thank you for your suggestions.

1) No, we do not use Vault.

2) The problems are both on projects created on IV 2011 as well as brand new projects created on IV 2012.

But thank you for your input.

Henk 

*Expert Elite*
Dan.M
Message 64 of 106 (798 Views)

06-17-2011 04:54 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Hello,

Instead of trying hear to solve your issues mybe you should contact AD. OPen a service request they can connect to your pc and see the problem.

Regards,

Dan 

*Pro
Dennis_Jeffrey
Message 65 of 106 (801 Views)

06-17-2011 05:03 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Please send me an email with your contact information. I'll take a personal stake in trying to help you.

djeffrey@teknigroup.com

Dennis

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Employee
chucksavatsky
Message 66 of 106 (762 Views)

06-17-2011 06:59 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Inventor 2012.

I would like to investigate these problems further.

Have you been submitting Crash Error Reports?

If so, can you provide me the email address you are providing with these crash error reports?

I can then have my team investigate these to better understand what is going on with these.

My email address is Chuck.Savatsky@Autodesk.com

Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Chuck Savatsky
Director Software Development Inventor
Autodesk
Active Contributor
HenkdeSwardt6236
Message 67 of 106 (698 Views)

06-19-2011 10:24 PM in reply to: chucksavatsky

Thank you for your offer.

I well get my draughtsman to contact you by e-mail.

Henk 

Employee
Shiva_Sundaram
Message 68 of 106 (628 Views)

06-21-2011 10:06 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have been looking at your crash reports and we are actively working on identifying a fix.

I would appreciate it, if you could try a workaround to fix your crashes. That would really help us validate our theories.

The workaround:

1. Launch Application Options

2. Go to the Drawing Tab

3. Set "Enable Background updates" - ON

4. Set "Memory Savings Mode" - OFF 

It's important that you SET Memory savings mode OFF when background updates are ON.

We have identified as clash between Background updates and Memory Savings Mode. You can have either one ON, but not both. The preference is that Enable Background updates are ON (default) if you want drawing view computes to go faster.

If you could test this and let me know or post back to this thread that would help validate our theory. We are actively working on rolling out some fixes ASAP in the drawing area in the very near term.

Once again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

You can reach me at sundars@autodesk.com if you have any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Active Contributor
HenkdeSwardt6236
Message 69 of 106 (565 Views)

06-22-2011 08:15 PM in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Eureka! Its solved..... well we found a work-around.

By applying the following:
1. Launch Application Options
2. Go to the Drawing Tab
3. Set "Enable Background updates" - ON
4. Set "Memory Savings Mode" - OFF
5. Shut down and Restart Inventor (just to make sure your options are captured, this is just a backup safety precaution)
(The graphics also had to be set to compatibility mode.)

By searching some other forums (not an official Autodesk forum) and having the Modena (a South African support company for Autodesk) support engineer struggle for 5 hours we found by a process of "try this - try that" that this workaround works.

I problem is that the UNDO function is not limited and sometimes does not work at all.

Ironically, AFTER we managed to find this workaround, we received an e-mail from an Autodesk support engineer in the USA (I presume) listing this exact workaround as the solution to our problem. ($200 wasted on the call out!)

Hopefully we have cause enough of a stir that Autodesk will release a patch or hot fix to solve this (even though they still have not admitted that it is ACTUALLY a software issue and not a hardware issue.)

The frustration was that when the support technical was on site we copied all our data to him and he tried all he could to "crash" IV on his laptop, but it just would not die!

In part I do understand that Autodesk cannot attend to each and every error log they receive, but somewhere one needs to find a way of sifting the user-induced problems and real bugs. AND when a bug IS found, admit it and fix it IMMEDIATELY. In the end we probably lost the best part of 40 man hours of work and rework. (I wonder if I can put in a warranty claim against Autodesk.)

So, thank you Autodesk for finally solving the problem. (I'm glad I did not have to migrate to another CAD system!)

Henk

*Pro
ampster
Message 70 of 106 (523 Views)

06-23-2011 05:25 AM in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

good to hear it's solved.

Just a note, now I have not read all 7 pages of what appears to be a rant or someone venting frustration going by the subject line...we've all been there...

but next time instead of posting something where you believe it's the softwares' fault or the company who made the software, start off with a descriptive subject line and just post relevant info in regards to your situation...again, I'm going by the subject line of this thread.  You don't know how many times I passed by this thread - ignoring it, simply because it seemed to be someone ranting or complaining about the software/company.

Again, glad you've finally solved this issue.  Perhaps for the benifit of anyone reading this in the future, you might take the time to mark the Autodesk's reply to your thread just before this most recent post of yours as the solution to your issue.  Even though you stated it was someone else who lead you to this solution, the Autodesk employee's answer is the same thing (sorry, I forgot your name Adesk employee and don't see your response on this page)

Have a good weekend!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.