Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
3139 Views, 105 Replies

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

Inventor 2012 is a poor attempt from Autodesk on an update.

Yes, the update features are "nice", but the amount of crashes and freezes per day (>20) makes in not worth using AT ALL!!!!

Sending reports to Autodesk get the standard automated responises - also not worth filling in.

IF ONLY Autodesk had the feature to DOWNGRADE files to 2011 then at least we would be able to work.

Autodesk, please do not use the WORLD as your BETA TESTERS.

From a VERY DISSAPOINTED (ex?)customer. 

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 2 of 106
mcgyvr
in reply to: HenkdeSwardt6236

Maybe try posting your computer specs/graphics card type and driver version..

Many times simply updating your graphics card driver to the latest version will stop the crashing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 106

Hey,

I have updated the driver and migrated all data.It solved all crashses.

Dan

Message 4 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
in reply to: mcgyvr

Two different computers, one a 4 year old AMD with Win 7 64 bit (even after a complete re-install). Other new i7, also with Win 7 64 bit.

The problems are virtually identically on the two compeltely different PC's which leads me to believe that it is not:

* Hardware

* Windows

* Screen card drivers 

(The standard anwers provided by Autodesk). 

Message 5 of 106

Two completely different PC's

Updated both screen card drivers to latest drivers and both still have the frequent crashes! 

Message 6 of 106

Have you tried running your graphics in Compatibility Mode, turning off the marking menu or any other type of regressions to see if that has any affect?  Speaking from the side where I see a lot of installs and upgrades, you are in the minority on this and there might be something in both systems that is causing the problems you are having.  It would also be interesting to see how you have your data structured as that may be culprit as well.  I also seem to remember one of the initial downloads I was using from Autodesk was corrupt and later got ammended to resolve an early issue.

Also are you an active beta tester?  Autodesk does beta test with users as early as 6 months before any RTM version gets out.  Might be a good place to test before installing the next release or maybe even do a test pilot with the new release before mass upgrading.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 106

never know, sometimes it might just be the O.S. updating .net framework or c++ that causes CAD apps (not just Adesk's) to crash.

Without proof, who knows.

Message 8 of 106
Breemum

Although I have become at peace with it I 100% agree. I just think the suite change was their focus this year is all. I still have much love for autodesk. Even if the program crashes 10+ per day no matter how I configure it 🙂

Message 9 of 106

NOOOOO, I'm not supposerd to be a BETA tester. Received the official release of 2012 in the mail on USB flash.

Used the different fash sticks to install on the two different PC's.

How is ti possible to have the exact same problems on the different PC's. Surely that eliminates hardware and operating system as the culprits?

Tried convered files (from 2011), new file, network files, local files. Singer user files.

ALL ahve the same problems.

Typical problems occur when:

* placing sectional view on drawing

* arraying parts / features

And it is not limited to large assemblies. Happens on small assemblies, parts, drawings, etc.

I refuse to believe that two different hardware configurations and two different windows installations can have the same  problems.

Assistance from Autodesk (Modena in South Africa and Autodesk international) is non exsistent! 

Message 10 of 106

Same problem on 2 different installations? Does not make any sense.

Message 11 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
in reply to: Breemum

10 Crashes per day... not too bad. Can I buy that computer????

Yes, I thought there would be more people like us out there.

You also got the standard Autodesk reply: must be your screen card's drivers.... 

Message 12 of 106
Breemum

hehe again I am not bitter about it. Fact is that I have 3 different computers with a wide range of hardware and it runs like trash on everyone. Regardless of how much I update video card and framework. 2011 was amazing, this release simply strains the gpu way to much. The only thing that made it run better on one of my older computers was to disable hardware acceleration on my gpu through XP. It worked like a charm, by charm I mean 3 crashes per day hehe. I am not denying that it most likely is something wrong with how I have some of my hardware setup, I am just saying that for as mush work as I have done to update it, it really should not have this kind of compatability issues.

Message 13 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
in reply to: Breemum

Any reply from Autodesk out there?

Or are these forums just for users to try and help other by trial and error? 

Message 14 of 106
jdits7

Give this link a read and see if you installed according to the suggestions. It has helped me in the past.

http://teknigroup.com/tutorials/InstallAdsk2009.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 15 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
in reply to: jdits7

Wow. Thank you.

That sounds like so descent suggestions.

Will try those. 

Message 16 of 106

I have to agree. I've crashed on IV2012 TWICE in the past 6 months, including beta. This is unacceptable! 

I'll bet this is almost all hardware or installation related.

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 17 of 106

Now this is funny... I just had my first Inv 2012 crash after like a month of usage. My biggest complaint on it would be its speed on the fastest computer Dell could deliver me that month ago (acc to Autodesk specs).

SW2011 did crash a lot though...  guess what Dassault told me, via their reseller? Yup.. you guessed it:  "must be your videocard drivers - update them."

Lets just face it.. it's like operating systems - they all suck and we users just need to keep our cool and deal with it.

Message 18 of 106

I had a series of issues with a couple of my 2012 64bit installs, on some machines it ran pretty well, normal amount of crashes for an RTM build, but on others, it had features missing here and there, menus would appear and dissappear and it would crash several times an hour. The common denominator was the deployment, all deployed installs were unstable and bug ridden but the ones installed directly from the USB stick were ok. So i uninstalled all the deployed machines, deleted all autodesk folders & files manually after the uninstall, then i deleted all Autodesk related keys in the registry.

Once i reinstalled from the USB it runs as solid as to be expected for an RTM build. The machines we use are really well spec'd though. I read you installed from USB so I don't think this will help you but i thought i shoudl share my experience.

It was my first attempt at a deployment, I love some of the abilities it gives you, but pointless if it creates unstable installs.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 19 of 106

Interesting Dennis_Jeffrey that you onyl had 2 crashes in 6 months, even though you clearly use a "un-certified" screen card GeForce 9800GT-1GB

Please tell us where you got the drivers from, since according to Autodesk it is onyl WHQL drives that will be certified, and even though WHQL drives are freely availalbe for almost all GeForce cards they are NOT certified! 

Message 20 of 106

Thank you, we installed all the PC's directly from the USB.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums