Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Pipe routing...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mikegonia
2492 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2012 Pipe routing...

I need to route some piping but don't have the Tube & Piping Design add-in.  Need to upgrade to Ultimate to get this functionality ($4K!).  I don't do this often, so I can't justify the expense.  It would be helpful however.  Any suggestions on creating these piping routes using standard inventor tools?  I hate to have to creat separate parts for each pipe run.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I had a similar problem (managament woudl not spend the money) so I authored a round part with the Structural Authoring tool and added the part to the Content Centre. Then create a sketch of the pipe run and apply the CC member, remembering to click MERGE in the FG toolbox to make it add up all of the seperate sketch entites to make the complete pipe length. Most end trims won't work and I could not get any pipe flares and such to work. But at least the pipe run works. In the sketch/sketches you make you will need to apply the known bending radius of the pipe. It's a work around but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the info Brendan.  I'll give it a try.

Message 4 of 5
ToddHarris7556
in reply to: mikegonia

I've always used the Pro version w/Routed Systems, but I think the approach might vary a bit depending on your end goals.

Regardless of the end goal, I'd say that you'll want to use 3D sketches and work from centerline layouts. If you're a piping designer, this will sound completely obvious. If you're not, it may be helpful.

For simple visualization, you may not need to create individual parts for elbows, tees, straights, etc. In fact, they may not even need to be hollow. Solid gets the point across. It still requires 3D sketching and sweeping, but isn't all that much work.

For actual pipe fabrication spools, you'll likely be better off placing invidual parts. I don't even know if the Content Centre includes pipe components without Routed Systems. If so, I'd suggest a pipe route skeleton, using 3D/2D sketches as required. Then placing CC components in the assembly constrainged to the skeleton. If you don't have access to the CC parts, then creating them from scratch is less fun, but not horrible. Ask around for specific parts, and you may find folks have them available.

Hope this helps.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 5 of 5

If incase you get the Tube and Piping add in for your Inventor, I would recommed you to see the link for learning it 

http://trainingtutorial.com/Tube_and_Pipe_Routed_Systems2012.htm

Sunith Babu L
http://blog.autodeskhelp.com/
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report