Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Performance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
japike
837 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor 2012 Performance

We are working very hard to completely revamp our engineering network - server, switches, cables, computers - everything.  My first thought was to delay the roll out of Inv2012 until that was all complete.  But, I'm wondering if there are any performance increases that people have seen in 2012 over 2011.  We are currently using single core, 32 bit XP computers with a mere 2 gb ram and if we can squeak an extra ounce of performance out of them right now, then I will make the switch over.  What are people experiencing so far?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: japike

With those computer specs you will not see a performance increase.. Thats a dinosaur...:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
japike
in reply to: mcgyvr

"Thats a dinosaur..."

LOL, thats for sure.  We can't wait to get some new gear!!!!

Thanks for your input.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 10
ravikmb5
in reply to: japike

Inventor 2012 is definetly better than IV 2011

its much much better than any Previous versions of IV

i have seen 2x perfomance in Dynamic simulation

IV 2012 is one of the best release ever they had

If IV 2011 works on ur machine

then

IV 2012 Should give much better Performance

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 5 of 10
japike
in reply to: ravikmb5

Thanks for your comments.  I think I am going to have to install 2012 and do some testing.  I am glad to hear that the performace of 2012 is better than 2011 - we  took a huge performance hit when we started using 2011.

The other thing I have to deal with is a terrible lack of memory.  Inventor keeps getting larger and so do our models.  We are now to the point that we can't do some stuff that we would like to do and I can't afford to make that worse by installing a bigger memory hog.  In that respect, 2011 was a good thing - it exposed our hardware for what it is - doo doo.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: ravikmb5

@ravikmb5 wrote:

If IV 2011 works on ur machine

then

IV 2012 Should give much better Performance

Highly doubt it with a single core processor like the OP has.

2012 has some improvements in speed because of additional multicore support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
stuarts
in reply to: mcgyvr

You will all find that 2012 will kill your 32bit machine.

I recently uipgraded a customer from Inv 2009 to Inventor 2012 and they certainly didnt see a increase in performance, rather a decrease.

The new interface along with the making menu, drawing background updates and dynamic previews will absoluty kill your machines.

For example marking menu alone uses 100MB of ram.

Sorry.

Hope you didnt upgrade for your users sanity and sake.

Message 8 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: stuarts

I'm using 2012 on a 32-bit machine, and my machine is not killed.  I'm not working with huge files, but I often find my memory indicator in the yellow range, sometimes red.  But the software is running smoothly, no noticeable degradation from 2011 or previous versions.

Message 9 of 10
mariec
in reply to: SBix26

Well kill may have been an over statement but you will notice a performance reduction for certain unless you turn fetaures off, thats a fact.

The customer I upgraded had brand new machines 8GB of ram but obviously only able to see 3.2GB.

They are having all sorts of issues in their drawings when they compare it to 2009.

In there resource bar in the bottom it say for example 600Mb used with 600Mb free.

Just opening a blank standard template says that it’s using approx.. 250Mb with 1.0Gb free resources available.

You can image that once you start brining parts in etc. that soon disappears.

The 3GB swicth is also not recomened so you will also see a reduction in the momery available to you, unless you go against the recomendations.

Message 10 of 10
stuarts
in reply to: mariec

Maybe I shhould hve been a bit more constructive! Sorry.

I should probably replace 'kill' with 'use more ram'.

Some of the for mentioned features all use more ram, this means that you will have less ram than 2011, if you struggled to work on files in previous releases you will find it even harder.

If you install inventor and use the new default option of not loading vba on startup you will notice that it  doesnt use as much ram (initially).

If you set it to load VBA on start up (default settings pre 2012 release) it will use more ram and compared to 2011,2010,2009, it is using more ram.

I am guessing this is why the load vba was included.

If you struggled for ram in previous releases you will struggle even more in 2012.

By the way, this is not a criticism of Inventor. It probably came across like that.

The reason it uses more ram is because there is more functionality and features available, there is more it needs to do and load now. More functionality is a good thing!

I guess the answer is to try to upgrade to 64bit if and when possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report