Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Icons - Windows 7 64

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tahdesign1
2552 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2012 Icons - Windows 7 64

I am in the process of building new machine and have a pro seat that for some reason is not showing the standard IV Icons.
I have already built this machine and authorized all the softwares so I do not want to go through rebuilding to fix something so small.
Any body know how to make the system show the correct icons for all the IV file types.
See below for what this machine is showing now.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tahdesign1

Hi! Changing file icon in Vista and Win 7 is no longer as straight forward as it was in XP. First, the Inventor file icons shown in the image do not seem like the default behavior after Inventor installed. Did you change it after Inventor was installed? If you can show me the steps to resolve in this icon state, it will be very helpful to prevent it from happening next time.

Second, I did a bit research and found a way to change file con in Win 7 (should be applicable to Vista also). Please be warned, the following steps involve changing system registry, if you are not familiar with the process, please do not do it. There are 3rd party tools available on the web to do the same thing. Just search for "File Icon Change" and you will find those tools.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Run Regedit.exe

2. Right-click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Export. This step is to back up your current settings are are about to change. If you make a mistake, at least you can recover prior settings.

3. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. The keys under the node are sorted alphabetically.

4. Scroll down to middle until you see Inventor.xxxxx

5. There you should see Inventor.AssemblyDocument, Inventor.DrawingDocument, Inventor.iFeatureDocument, Inventor.PartDocument, Inventor.ProjectDocument.

6. Under each key, there should a subkey "DefaultIcon." Here are the key values on my machine.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.AssemblyDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\FwUIRes.dll,1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.DrawingDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\FwUIRes.dll,4

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.iFeatureDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\FwUIRes.dll,2

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.PartDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\FwUIRes.dll,0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.PresentationDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\FwUIRes.dll,3

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Inventor.ProjectDocument\DefaultIcon

= C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\ipj.ico,0

7. Compare the key values on your machine with above values. Adjust accordingly. Please keep in mind that the path to Inventor on your machine might be different.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
tahdesign1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I compared the registry on a machine that is showing the icons correctly and there is a different not only in the Key values but in the amount of keys in that section of the registry (see illustration).

Both machines are identical installs of Product Design Suite Ultimate. So what I did was go to the registry of the machine that was working correctly and export all of the Keys in that area (including the ones that were missing from the issued machine).

I then import all of these Keys to the machine with the issue. When I checked the Key values on the issue machine they had been properly set to the vaules from the working machine.

However, the moment that I start Inventor the registry key values reverted back to the incorrect values.

So I must assume that I have an overall install issue on that machine. I am in the process of wiping all the Autodesk software off that machine to do a clean install. Hope that works

Message 4 of 6
thomasowen8173
in reply to: tahdesign1

I had this same problem and it turned out that Inventor and Vault needed to be run in administrator mode one time and the icon problem went away.  Our company had installed SP1 and some Microsoft patches the night before and apparently this triggered the problem.  I also noticed that my Task Scheduler wasn't working right.  I ran as administrator and it fixed that too.  These problems happened with Inventor Professional 2011 that is running a patch to be able to tall to our Vaullt Professional 2012 Vault.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 6

It keeps going back to ugly icons.  Am going to re-install Inventor over the top of what is there.

Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: thomasowen8173

I've never had this problem BUT

I always install as an administrator...plain and simple.

Inventor requires all users to be at least "power users" so if you install as admin then go try to use Inventor with another account that isn't at least power users you WILL have problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums