Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 export dxf versions

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
petitericeball
5788 Views, 25 Replies

Inventor 2012 export dxf versions

Hey guys, I've been using inventor 2010, and recently upgraded to inventor 2012. Today I found out that when exporting dxf's with inventor 2012, they no longer work when importing them into another program (cut2d). There used to be an options button when saving where I could change my dxf version, but now the button only does it for dxf, and I've tried all versions of the dwg (2000-2010), and it won't work with cut2d. 

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Ive still got an option button when saving DXF files... im not sure your post reads correctly though..

Save As (pullout) Save Copy As... the select dxf format the click the options button.

have you tried AutoCAD to postprocess your files?

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 3 of 26

The only way I've found that I can export dxf files is to right click on the surface and select "export face as". I'm reinstalling inventor 2011 to get a screenshot  but this is what it looks like currently. The big window is the "export face as" window, and the window to the right is the options window

Message 4 of 26

Hi Group

I am just starting to use inventor 2012 and have the same issue, in inventor 2011 i was able to right click on a face and export as a dxf but had a selection of options which enabled me to export in a good format for other programs to use, I used to use dxf autocad version 12 a lot, but there arn't many options now and my other programs do not reconise the exports I create????

I really need these options as before in inventor 2011.

regards Adrian

Message 5 of 26

Although it does still work if you export from the drawing screen and all the options are there?

However it does export the whole sheet as opposed to individual parts!

Regards Adrian

Message 6 of 26

I have just exported a drawing out in inventor 2012 as a dxf and on the drawing file the hole was 3.5 mm diameter but the exported dxf is 7mm diameter? how does that change????

also on another part on the same drawing sheet exported the holes were ok?

see attached files

Message 7 of 26

do you mean this options box? if so its still there in my version of IV2010

right click on flat pattern definition and "save copy as" after you clcik save, the option box will appear.

Cheers Josh

Message 8 of 26

Yes those are the options and they were in inventor 2011 as well, but they have gone gfrom inventor 2012?

Infact in inv 2012 if you click "save as" DXF is not even an option, only if you try to export face as you get a DXF option but it has little options with it?

Message 9 of 26

I just loaded 2012, did a quick file to test, right click flat pattern, save copy as, change to dxf, hit save and then the box popped up for me. No issues. There isn't a seperate options button now, not sure if there was before.

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 10 of 26

I can use "export face as" to export a dxf but the file is then unusable with other software. 

When  I right click I get "export face as" not "save copy as" but what is missing is all the options that were available in particular export as "autocad ver12" which is required to run on many other machines and programs.

see enclosed screen shot.

regards  Adrian

Message 11 of 26

Sorry, I thought you were dealing with a sheet metal part. I see now what you are talking about. I will keep looking into it more also.

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 12 of 26

Hi Jdits

I was dealing with a sheet metal part? but in inv 2011 and previouse I was able to "export face as" with the options in sheet metal or modeling etc..

regards Adrian

Message 13 of 26

I'm pretty sure that my problem with exporting to cam software (cnc) has to do with the version of the dxf. In the past I could change it to previous versions (in my case 2004), but I think the new version no longer changes the .dxf, but only the .dwf. 

Message 14 of 26

It is defiantly the type of .dxf file that is the issue, this worked well in previous versions, why have the options been removed?

This needs to be sorted and sorted pretty quickly, when you spend out a load of money on subscription you don't expect it to go backwards!!

Message 15 of 26

hey group

I have seen a few replies on this issue on a couple of posts, Basically the "export face as" works and has some options but the exported file is not usable, in previous versions there were more options which worked i.e an "autocad version 12 option".

I have tried each of the four versions in the options and non of them will load as a dxf in another program, for instance they won't load into Rhino version 4, but in inv 2011 and before I was able to export with no issues.

Please fix this ASAP!

regards Adrian

Message 16 of 26
petitericeball
in reply to: jdits7

Being able to export to dxf is very important to my work, so I think I'm going to have to downgrade back down to 2011 😞

Message 17 of 26

a short term work around is to "export face as" in inv 2012 as a dxf, then open the dxf in mechanical 2012 and then re export it using all the options that work in mechanical you then get a dxf that you can work with.

(this is a real pain, espacially if you have a loads of parts to export!!!! )

I don't understand why there is so many versions required, for any manufacturing facility a dxf needs to be a simple 2d line geometry scaled 1:1 with no other features or dimensions etc..

Perhaps there should be an option for a cnc dxf that gives this simple basic output.

at the end of the day I should imagine anyone that wants to "export face as" is mainly going to machine or cut the face in one way or another.

!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP !!!!! 

Message 18 of 26

What is happening is that we seem to disregard the version options in the "Export Face As..." command.

This means that even if you select the 2000 or 2004 format, we simply create the much newer 2010 format, which might not be readily understood by certain CNC machines.

I therefore logged a P1 defect 1398599:

Regress: Export Face As always exports 2010 format disregarding the options

In the meantime use Save As in AutoCAD to obtain the required version format for your DWG and DXF files.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 19 of 26
petitericeball
in reply to: jdits7

Any eta on how long it'll take this to get fixed? weeks? months?

Message 20 of 26

I would hope this would be fixed in hours / days!!!

Autodesk inventor is a tool for business and we all pay a handsome fee for the privilege to use it, This has now been identified and a fix should be implemented immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report