Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Drawing Crash / Corruption When Editing Corresponding Part Model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
petestrycharske
416 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2012 Drawing Crash / Corruption When Editing Corresponding Part Model

All,

I am working with a user that has an odd issue.  Occassionally, when he works on an Inventor 2012 Part / Drawing Combination (i.e. ABC.ipt & ABC.dwg), he will make a change to the part model but will be unable to open up the drawing file.  In fact, the drawing file itself seems to be corrupted in Inventor 2012's eyes.  When trying to open, Inventor 2012 simply crashes out.  I have tried just about everything that I can think of to try and reopen this drawing file, to know avail.  Here is a short list of what I have tried:

1. Open the drawing by itself, without the model being open.

2. Change the part model back to the original state, removing the previous changes

3. Try to update the design in Task Scheduler.  Task Scheduler fails to open the drawing.

4. Try to Publish DWF in Task Scheduler.  Task Scheduler fails to open the drawing.

5. Try to Print in Task Scheduler.  Task Scheduler fails to open the drawing.

6. I have opened up the Add-In Manager and unloaded those that were added later (CFD 2014) and some that I downloaded (Thread Modeler)

Interestingly, I can open both the part and drawing just fine with Inventor 2015.  I can also make changes to the part model which propagate into the drawing file without incident.  Therefore, it seems like this is something to do with Inventor 2012, but haven't been able to figure it out yet.  Unfortunately, I cannot share the file, as it is proprietary.  If anyone has any thoughts on how this situation could arise or some ways to open up the "corrupted" file in Inventor 2012, I would really appreciate it.  If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: petestrycharske

Can the person open the IPT in IV2012? Opening the IDW in IV2012 causes the problem, yet you can open the IDW in a newer version. Check that they have all the latest SP's and Hot-Fixes for their version of Inventor. Then have them open the IPT and do a rebuild and save of it. Then while they have the IPT open, have them try and open the IDW.

Did by some change, did this IPT get opened and saved in the IV2015 version?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
petestrycharske
in reply to: blair

blair,

Great thoughts and I forgot to mention that they are on Update 4 for SP2, which I believe is the latest and greatest for Inventor 2012.  Also, the file is not saved to 2015, as I can still open in Inventor 2012. 

I didn't think of a rebuild on the .ipt, but will try that and let you know how it shakes out.  If that doesn't work, then I will also try to migrate the file using Task Scheduler (still to 2012 version), just to see if that helps.  Thanks for the tips and have a most blessed day!

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: petestrycharske

In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and select iProperties.

Post screen shot showing Details tab, something like this -

iProperties.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
petestrycharske
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather,

Here is the screenshot, but the file looks to be properly migrated.  Also, my Task Scheduler migration task didn't change anything and the drawing file still crashed when I tried to open the file.  In this case, I am trying to open an Inventor .DWG, so I couldn't open up those iProperties in Windows Explorer. 

Drawing Version.png

Just a guy on a couch...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report