Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Crash Problems

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Breemum
8964 Views, 38 Replies

Inventor 2012 Crash Problems

Hey guys,

I just recieved the new Inventor Design Suite Ultimate Package and installed it. Using Inventor 2012 Professional for about an hour now and its crashed about 10+ times already. I am very dessapointed at the moment seeing how impressed I was at how stable 2011 was.

*Everytime I open a large assembly my memory gets jacked up to ungodly numbers and I am not sure why. I have 8gb of RAM and generally the highest I have ever seen 2011 use is 3.5gb and thats when I am pushing it pretty hard. As soon as I opened a 2000+ part assembly it shot so high I had to reboot because I could not terminate it. I am assuming it is because the new quick open feature they added was trying to cache everything. Once I stopped that It opened but still the interface is moving alot slower in general.

*Another issue I am having is that if I enable the "Enable background updates" Option in the application options Inventor crashes everytime I try to make a new custom view. Regardless of how complicated the part is. Once I turned off this feature it was better, but it is still crashing randomly on view creation.

All these problems may just be caused by me running Inventor 2012 fresh and maybe it still has to tweak settings as I use it but as of now it just seems like this release is very unstable. I did install all the other bells and whistles like 3DS Max and Alias so maybe they are affecting it?

Here are my stats:

Microsft Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Intel Xeon GPU E5405 @2.00GHz Quad Core

8Gb of RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 using Matrox Triplehead2go DVI Box with 4 Monitors

Im just trying to see if this is an issue with some of my settings or if you guys can reproduce it. It is not running in any type of compatability mode. Keep in mind Inventor 2011 ran like a champ on my current system. Thank you

38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
SteveFrey
in reply to: Shiva_Sundaram

Shiva:

I am having MANY crashes while in the .idw environment, too.  How come Autodesk has not suggested this fix for me?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
Message 22 of 39
SteveFrey
in reply to: SteveFrey

I've been going back and forth with Autodesk on this issue for weeks and they keep blaming it on my system.  My IT dept says this is not the case.  I don't know what to do at this point.  Autodesk swears up and down that it is not their problem. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 23 of 39
dschweitzerHME
in reply to: SteveFrey

As a member of my company's IT group, I feel your pain Steve. We have downloaded every file, installed every patch, and checked/unchecked every option. I hope AutoDesk may resolve your issue soon! We'll be here waiting to see, along with you.

Message 24 of 39
SteveFrey
in reply to: dschweitzerHME

Thanks for your understanding.  The only way I can create an .idw is to save it every 30 seconds.  What a joke.  Solidworks here I come!

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 25 of 39
dpaskman
in reply to: Breemum

Help!!  I need to get this drawing now and I am crashing everytime I try and place a drawing view from the model.  The model is large but I have SP1 installed and still crashing

Message 26 of 39
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: dpaskman

Hi Alll,

We have been working on these crashes and we hope to release a hotfix ASAP. There have been a couple of triggers which are causing these crashes (a) selection and undo (b) select-other and undo (c) interaction with add-ins 

These are not necessarily related to the "Enable background updates" - we did have a couple of issues in the past with this functionality that was fixed back in SP1.

We hope to roll this out as quickly as we can. We apologize (and we really mean it) for the inconvenience.

One thing which would help is if you can send me your email address so that I can track the crash reports and ensure that the issues are already fixed (or will be fixed by the hotfix).

You can email me at: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom

Thanks and our apologies once again.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 39
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: dpaskman

Hi All (and dpaskman)

I would like to also like to add that if you feel that you just crashing trying to create a drawing view, then its probably not a generic issue and might be model related. Perhaps there is some bad geometry or translated data.

I would be happy to take a look at those issues - please email me your email address, I can initially track the crash in our database which would help figure out what was going wrong.

In addition, you can send me your model files and drawing files with some instructions on how to reproduce this and your machine configuration (graphics info etc).

You can contact me at: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 28 of 39
slayer5608

Hello, I just have a quick question. I just had Inventor crash on me and I didn't save, is there a recovery mode like autocad has or am I basically SOL? Thanks in advance for the help on this matter

Message 29 of 39
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: slayer5608

All.

I have some good news. We have issued a hotfix which addresses many of the instabilities in drawings in R2012. 

Please note that this would need to be applied on top of R2012 SP1. If you don't have R2012 SP1 installed, please install R2012 SP1 prior to installing the hotfix. The readme describes the issues fixed as well as installation instructions.

The hotfix DL17804781 can be found at:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17804781&linkID=9242019

Thanks for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 39
psohaney

Intalled this patch, and Inventor 2012 STILL continues to crash when I attempt to open an IPT model that was created in 2012 originally.  The model is stable, as I had created it on previous installation of 2012. 

Message 31 of 39
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: psohaney

Hi,

Can you email me your IPT file. I can take a look and see why its crashing. If you open the IPT stand-alone, can you open it? If not, its probably not related to this hotfix and could be some other issue.

You can reach me at sundarsATautodeskDOTcom.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 32 of 39
psohaney

Just sent you an email pertaining to this.  I cannot open ANY IPT file at this point without the program quitting.

Message 33 of 39
Shiva_Sundaram
in reply to: psohaney

Hi,

I got your file and can open it fine in R2012 SP1. The crash is most likely not related to this hotfix or R2012 SP1, but perhaps due to outdated graphics drivers or anti-virus or some other issue which is preventing the software from working normally.

Could you please try updating your graphics card drivers and let me know what you find.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 34 of 39
mflayler2

Tangental question...

Are you using and shadows or realistic visual styles as your default appliation options?  I have found that on occasion with the application settings set a specified way that it will corrupt my user profile and the only way to fix Inventor is to delete my user profile with an admin account and then recreate it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 35 of 39
psohaney

Updating the ATI graphics card with the most current version was the key.  Seems to have settled the CRASH bug for good.  I will know after I stretch it's legs for a while.

Message 36 of 39
wooper91

Hi guys!

First of all, sorry for my english.. I have crashes all the time with Inventor Professional 2012 64-bit, if i want to open a larger assembly. Will be the problem, that my computer isn't good? The workstations in my workplace are worse, and they can open it.

My computer:

MB: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 Quad Core 3.2 GHz
VGA: ASUS Radeon HD 6870
RAM: Kingmax 4GB 1333MHz (i know that this is few, but the workstations have 3,5 only..)
HDD: WD 1TB 7200rpm SATA

Message 37 of 39
Mark_Wigan

hi,

sorry if you already checked this but,

just firstly make sure that you have the latest service pack for your version of inventor and update your graphics card drivers at the same time.

then see how it goes.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 38 of 39
otolmoff

New computer, no viruses, and have spent 4 hours with Geek Squad to get app installed and now it crashes EVERYTIME i open Auto Inventor and try a new Standard Design, then it crashes. I have sent reports and no response.

PLEASE HELP!

Autodesk - Thank You
Thank you for sending your error report CER_108278538 to Autodesk

Autodesk - Thank You
Thank you for sending your error report CER_108278016 to Autodesk.

Autodesk - Thank You
Autodesk has analyzed the error report CER_108277768 you submitted. Errors similar to this have been resolved by the following Technical Solution. We recommend that you apply this Technical Solution, or contact your system administrator.

Nevermind the 6 other ones I before my mom got involved.

Please help. I need to finish my homework.

Message 39 of 39
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: otolmoff

First of all, you shouldn't have to 'wrestle' Inventor to install.  That alone spells out a big problem.

To get help fast, you must post:

CPU, RAM, GPU & Ram, OS.

note on GPU... DO NOT RUN INVENTOR IN HARDWARE GRAPHICS MODE WITH ONBOARD INTEL GRAPHICS.  Sorry intel, it just plain crashes the program (note the date of this post).  IF YOU WANT HARDWARE GRAPHICS ON A PC WITH INTEL MOTHERBOARD GRAPHICS, DISABLE THE ONBOARD GRAPHICS AND USE THE PCIe CARD GRAPHICS SYSTEM ONLY.  Don't even plug a monitor into the MB ports.  If you don't have a choice, use SOFTWARE GRAPHICS mode.  (Not verified for onboard Radeon or Nvidia, but laptops work fine with those GPUs).

General help:

Make sure you have administative privleges over your machine, or at least high enough level to write to the registry and all drives.

Make sure you've run all windows updates (look for the .net updates, they are the most important)

Make sure you've got GPU driver updates that are as new as the .net updates.

Run Inventor, goto App Options, Hardware, put it in software graphics mode.  Close inventor.  Reopen, verify setting was retained. (This actually checks for 2 problems; registry access, and graphics card issues).  Test problem, still crashing?

DISABLE Antivirus (biggest offender McAffee, its too agressive, most AV programs have a ignore program option, add inventor.exe and folder).  Test again.

Start blank part file.  save file, close.  Safe?  Open same file, add box.  save, still safe?  Apply material. save.  Still safe?

start assembly... add part. save.  remove part. save.  still safe?

Turn on hardware mode.  Retest, use different visual styles, shadows and reflections.  If you make it this far, your problem is not fundamental.

Good luck, you and everybody else who reads this post looking for help.

jvj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report