Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Crash Problems

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Breemum
8963 Views, 38 Replies

Inventor 2012 Crash Problems

Hey guys,

I just recieved the new Inventor Design Suite Ultimate Package and installed it. Using Inventor 2012 Professional for about an hour now and its crashed about 10+ times already. I am very dessapointed at the moment seeing how impressed I was at how stable 2011 was.

*Everytime I open a large assembly my memory gets jacked up to ungodly numbers and I am not sure why. I have 8gb of RAM and generally the highest I have ever seen 2011 use is 3.5gb and thats when I am pushing it pretty hard. As soon as I opened a 2000+ part assembly it shot so high I had to reboot because I could not terminate it. I am assuming it is because the new quick open feature they added was trying to cache everything. Once I stopped that It opened but still the interface is moving alot slower in general.

*Another issue I am having is that if I enable the "Enable background updates" Option in the application options Inventor crashes everytime I try to make a new custom view. Regardless of how complicated the part is. Once I turned off this feature it was better, but it is still crashing randomly on view creation.

All these problems may just be caused by me running Inventor 2012 fresh and maybe it still has to tweak settings as I use it but as of now it just seems like this release is very unstable. I did install all the other bells and whistles like 3DS Max and Alias so maybe they are affecting it?

Here are my stats:

Microsft Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Intel Xeon GPU E5405 @2.00GHz Quad Core

8Gb of RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 using Matrox Triplehead2go DVI Box with 4 Monitors

Im just trying to see if this is an issue with some of my settings or if you guys can reproduce it. It is not running in any type of compatability mode. Keep in mind Inventor 2011 ran like a champ on my current system. Thank you

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
Breemum
in reply to: Breemum

Ok so the new Internet Exploer does not like this site hehe, I apologize for the blank post.

I fixed the problem, just had to update some drivers. Im sorry Autodesk for doubting you ❤️

Message 3 of 39
MRanda

Im getting a lot of crashing as well related to changing views. It is a standard part of my workflow to have views that allow me to work easily inside of larger models. Inventor 2011 introduced quite a bit of buggyness to the View feature, but 2012 takes the cake. Not only is it not working correctly, but the program is now continuously crashing.

Mark Randa

Applied Design Intelligence

Windows 7 Home Premium
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo

Inventor 2012
OS  - Raid 0 - 2 WD VelociRaptor HDs

Storage - Raid 1 - 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
3.00G Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor
GeForce GTS450 1GB Video Ram
8 Gig DDR 2 1066 mhz System Ram
Dual 23" Acer Monitors

Intel i7-6700K Liquid Cooled CPU
MSI GTX GeForce 1080 AERO 8GB OC Graphics
32 Gigs DDR 4 Ram
500 GB SSD OS Drive
4TB SSHD File Server Drive
Windows 10 Pro
http://applieddesignintelligence.com/
Message 4 of 39
Mid-State

I have found that using the scheduling tool to migrate the project .ipj to 2012 eliminated a lot of issues for me on smaller assemblies. The larger assemblies take a robust machine. 64-bit computing is no longer a luxury, it has become a necessity. I had a 2,000+ part assembly that I tried to create a drawing base view for and it crashed every time. This PC was Win7 Pro, 32-bit, 4GB of RAM, nVidia Quadro graphics, etc. It was purchased with Inventor 11 (not 2011) in mind and worked flawlessly. I used my company laptop which is a Win7 Pro, 64-bit, 6GB of RAM with an nVidia card and it worked fine to create the base view. It chews through the large assembly smoothly and quickly.

Message 5 of 39
MRanda
in reply to: Mid-State

I agree with the assessments made by Mid-State, but unfortunately none are the problem in this case. I always migrate files to new file versions as, in addition to helping performance, it is also a good time to find and fix any issues. The computer I work on has been 64bit since XP64 came out, and the model I am working on has only a couple hundred parts....I have worked on models of yachts with hundreds of thousand parts (took about 45 minutes to open the master model).

This is an issue with the feature being broken. As I type this I am looking at a model with two parts that are supposed to have their visibility off. They both are greyed out in the browser, but only one is invisible on-screen. If I try to change the visibility of the one that is not behaving, it will likely crash the program --I spent a good amount of time crashing yesterday, and am tired of looking for a work-around. A workflow that got glitchy with 2011 is now mostly hosed.  

Performance seems to be much better though, and I love the dongle install & extra programs. Overall, a very good upgrade. Hopefully a service pack --or preferably a hot fix, will fix this issue.

Mark Randa

Applied design Intelligence

32 Gigs DDR 4 Ram
500 GB SSD OS Drive
Windows 10 Pro
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 39
Breemum

As I said guyys the bugginess of the program really went away went I updated my graphics card driver. I was able to get the background updates feature to work, and was able to make drawings of a 5000+ assembly. I would say its a video card problem. If you are only getting crashes within drawings. And Once I disabled caching (which Im not a fan of) it allowed all my assemblies to open up great. Have you tried disableing the background updates feature in Application Options -> Drawing? This fixed my problem until I updated my driver. I just revoke what I said because its running like a dream on my system now and I never go easy on Inventor.

Message 7 of 39
MRanda

Thanks Breemum, but the problem is not within drawings, it is the visibility state of parts in within the workspace as controlled by the View Rep.

As for the drivers, the current driver on my machine is from last week. I have windows update take care of video drivers, and it updates them regularly……  but the issue has been around for at least a year, and present on my machine and all of the ones at the company I am currently contracted with.

Thanks for the input, but It looks as though this is a Autodesk problem.

Mark Randa

32 Gigs DDR 4 Ram
500 GB SSD OS Drive
Windows 10 Pro
Message 8 of 39
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: MRanda

i have found that usually i have to go and download video drivers manually despite windows updates.

especially with laptops...

sometimes you will see a performance driver listed on the drivers webpages as well which you could compare.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 9 of 39
Loren_J

Just because it is the latest driver doesn't mean it works. When I do a driver update I get at least the last three drivers so I can compare them. For example, I had a problem with the latest ATI driver where I had to swtich between the Performance and Compatibility hardware settings depending on whether I was working on an assembly or a drawing because I would lose component or annotation visibility. They released a point update about a month later which specifically included a fix for Inventor.

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 10 of 39
kschumacher

I was getting a LOT of crashes also. 4-6 / hour.

I happened across this discussion, so I started poking around.

I noticed that for some unknown reason, software graphics was enabled.

I unchecked it and I haven't crashed yet. (Keepin' fingers crosed.)

Not saying this will fix your problem, but might be worth checking out.

attachment

Ken -

Message 11 of 39

When crashing while changing view settings within an Inventor drawing (IDW) process, try this:

Options-Drawing Tab-Capacity/Performance section-Memory Saving Mode Check box - TURN IT OFF.

jvj

jvj
Message 12 of 39

hi, i'm having the same problem whith inventor 2012, last week it crashed every day 10+ times per day, i see  if I enable the "Enable background updates" Option in the application options Inventor crashes everytime I try to make a new custom view. Regardless of how complicated the part is. Once I turned off this feature it was better, but now, i finish my drawing and when i try to save the drawing it crashes, or when i try to export to autocad dwg file it crashes too, and then no way to save my drawing again, i can open but if i make some changes on it, and if y try to save, or save as, it crashes!!

please some help!!

i'm a formwork conceptor, and i have a lot of work at this moment, i can't waste my time like this...

Mota

HP Z400 workstation

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3565 @3.20GHz 3.19GHz

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits

12GB RAM

NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 2GB

Drivers 265.70 [8.17.12.6570]

Monitor HP ZR24w

Message 13 of 39
s.hemmingsen
in reply to: kschumacher

had a look at my setup, many crashes.. many many crashes.. Looked at graphics setup , set at software, changed , and working a lot better. Thanks. also turned off background updates in drawing settings. so must be one of these my guess is the software setting on the graphics.

Message 14 of 39

Turning off background updates worked for us.

Thanks guys this was driving us crazy!

Message 15 of 39

We released a hotfix for this issue sometime back to fix some of the instabilities in drawing view updates.

Once the hotfix is applied - its no longer necessary to turn OFF enable background updates and is safe to use.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?si​teID=123112&id=17235749&linkID=9242019

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 39

The Page You Requested Was Not Found

Message 17 of 39

My apologies. Not sure what happened with the cut-n-paste.

Here is the correct link

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17235749&linkID=9242019

Message 18 of 39
dschweitzerHME

After trying to apply the HotFix, a prompt ask me to instert the AutoDesk Disk containing the Inventor.msi.

I placed the USB containing our Design Suite Premier 2012 and target either the E:\x86\ or E:\x64\Inventor\Inventor.msi and receive this error.

Internal Error 2902. ixfAssemblyCopy

Message 19 of 39

Hi,

Have you already applied Inventor 2012 SP1 - if so, this hotfix is not necessary as its already included as part of Inventor 2012 SP1.

Thanks

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Development

Message 20 of 39
dpaskman
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

In that case (SP1 includes this hotfix), then the hotfix is worthless.  I have SP1 installed and Inventor still displays this behavior: especially on large models!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report