Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Changing Inches to mm

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
chris_96
47599 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2012 Changing Inches to mm

I know this has been asked before but I am not familiar with Inventor too well and I would love step by step Instructions on how to Change the defualt inches input to mm. I have the student version  of Inventor 2012 Pro, if this helps you answer.

I would appreciate any answers. 

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: chris_96

When you try to import your file (suppose it is created by other CAD software) into Inventor, select the file and click Options... button in Open dialog, then go to Units group, click the dropdown and select millimeter. See attached image.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 5
JDMather

Start a Standard(mm).ipt file and Save as Template overriding your default template.
or
Go to Tools>Document Properties>Units and change to mm and Save As Template overriding your default template.
or
in Windows Explorer overright the Default templates with the metric templates changing the names to the default names.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
montesv2

okay. So is their away to rescale an already existing object in inventor...for example. I've already made the piece in inches and i just want to change the whole thing to mm..without having to redo the whole thing....is their a way to do that?

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: montesv2

As you created the model - each dimension should have shown it's units.

Obviously that should not have gone without notice.

But that water is under the bridge.

I think someone wrote a routine to fix this, but if a search doesn't turn up the solution, you might -

go into Manage tab>Parameters and change Equation units to correct units.

another option might be to

Start a new file

Manage>Derive Component the incorrect units part into the new file with appropriate Scale factor.

If the part was made to the correct dimensions (units or inches) and you simply want to change the units, then go to Tools>Document Settings and change the units on the Units tab.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report