Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2011: Does threads show in section view

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tzong
2022 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2011: Does threads show in section view

Hello,

English is not my first language, so I have problem to discribe my question.

Question:

Does threads show in section view?

I found the inventor 2011 represent the threads with dash line.

Can it be present by teeth?

|_|  |_|  |_|  |_|  |_|  |_|  teeth   instead of    - - - - - - - - - - - - -  dash line

Please see my attached bmp file to understand my question.

Thank you so much.

Tzong

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: tzong

The "Threads" in Inventor are a BMP image applied to the surface, for real threads you would need to use the "Coil" feature and physically produce the threads on your part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
kstate92
in reply to: blair

I still would love to see an option when creating a detail view that, when a threaded area is selected, would show the actual thread profile based on the thread information from the model (acme, buttress, etc.).

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 4 of 8
tzong
in reply to: blair

thank you, blair.

To create real threads with Coil feature, what are the threads informations required?

any suggestion of good website or book?

Message 5 of 8
blair

The "Machinist Handbook" from Industrial Press is probably one of the better books out there. I believe the 27tth edition is the current version.

You should be able to Google "Industrial Press". You might also find it available on Amazon, both new and used copies.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
jason.stephens

You could use Machinery's Handbook or the thread.xls file located in the Design Data folder.

Message 7 of 8
JDMather

@tzong wrote:

thank you, blair.

To create real threads with Coil feature, what are the threads informations required?

any suggestion of good website or book?

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

Here is a tutorial (written for another CAD program - but you should be able to figure it out.

Need to know major diameter, pitch and length normally given in thread note.  Generally 60° profile with perhaps point modification as indicated in Machinerys' Handbook.  For visual purposes probably don't need to get too detailed.  For manufacturing purposed the machinist generally just wants the thread note (no modeled threads).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
blair

You know, I always forget about pulling data from the THREAD.XLS file. I always head back to the Machinist's Handbook.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report