Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Inventor 2009] How to make actual knurls

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kylewill0725
3344 Views, 5 Replies

[Inventor 2009] How to make actual knurls

Pretty straight forward question. How does one make a knurl on a cylinder? I don't mean using textures but actual cut in knurls.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: kylewill0725

Coil surface.

Sweep.
Pattern.

(how is that for a straight-foward answer?)

This was done using one sketch.  (for the entire part... ... and I just realized that I did too much work at that)

If I do it again, I think I wouldn't go quite so deep on the triangle and increase then pattern count to compensate.

Post for step-by-step instructions if  you can't figure it out (best to post your actual ipt file).

Knurl.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Well,

it really bothered me that I made my one and only sketch more complicated than needed - so I did it over.

Knurl2.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 6
kylewill0725

Ya that's pretty good thank you 😄

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

ahhhh except I just realized I didn't need to sweep unless I wanted to change the angle of the profiles perpendicular to the paths, other wise I could have just used the Coil-Cut (twice).

Message 6 of 6
mpatchus

With a little thought and using tools in different ways, you can pretty much create anything in Inventor.

Here's one of checkering on a pistol grip, which is basically knurling anyway.

Pistol Grip.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report