Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2008 and Windows 7 Professional

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bsand640
5111 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor 2008 and Windows 7 Professional

I need some help on getting Inventor to work on Windows 7 Professional. I just upgraded to Professional so I can use software that ran on XP but not of Windows 7.

We no longer have the employee that used Inventor but I still need to be able to open the files he worked on but cannot afford to upgrade just to do that.

Inventor opens fine but when I do File>Open or File>New I get an error message and it closes down.

Any tips for how to get this to work? Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: bsand640

bsand640 wrote: I get an error message and it closes down.

Any tips for how to get this to work? Thank you

First tip... We aren't mind readers... How about actually telling us what the exact error message is?

Second tip... Inventor 2008 is not supported on Windows 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
bsand640
in reply to: mcgyvr

Why the attitude in your response? I have a legitimate question and looking for some helpful answers.

The error message says "A software problem has caused Autocad to close unexpectedly..." No error # shown.

My Inventor software used to work on XP I have Windows 7 with XP mode which is supposed to run XP programs. I am making sure I have all updates for that at the moment and all updates for Inventor 2008.

Message 4 of 13
mrattray

Are you actually running inside of XP mode? You need to actually start a program from within Win 7 called "Virtual Machine" and open Inventor from within that program.

"The error message says "A software problem has caused Autocad to close unexpectedly..." No error # shown."

Is it AutoCAD that's crashing, did you accidentaly put AutoCAD and mean Inventor, or is it saying AutoCAD in an Inventor message?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 13
bsand640
in reply to: mrattray

Autodesk Inventor Error Report is what comes up after it crashes *BRIAN SANDBERG* *s a n d m o u n t a i n , i n c . ** * * * *640 Lido Park Drive* *Newport Beach, CA 92663* *P (949) 675-5475* *F (949) 675-5924* *www.sandmountain.net * *P** **Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail* __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7137 (20120514) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com
Message 6 of 13
blair

IV2008 came out prior to Vista and WIn7 and is not compatible. You require at least IV2009 SP1 to run on Vista or Win7. Even trying to install IV2008 in compatibilty mode will cause problems, crashing Inventor.

Your only two choices are to install your Inventor version 2008 on a Win XP machine, or purchase a newer version IV2013 version to install on your Win7 machine.

No work-around or patches for IV2008 to get it to work on a O/S it wasn't designed for. If you do get it to run, don't expect this configuration to be stable and work without problems.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: blair

I'm not talking about compatibility mode, I'm talking baout the virtual machine. It's basicaly Windows XP running inside of Win 7. It works if you do it right, I've used it to run non Win 7 compatible AutoDesk software before with success (although I haven't tried IV08). It sounds like all he wants to do is be able to open some old files, not really work in it, so I don't see any point in investing in new software for that.

Although having said that, if all you want to do is open the files up, spin them around, and take some measurements, why not try Inventor viewer?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
sam_m
in reply to: mrattray

dont forget the xp virtual machine in Win 7 emulates all hardware, so doesn't take advantage of your physical hardware at all, no matter what you have.  The main one to think about is the graphics card - Virtual XP only runs as a 4 meg (S3 - whatever that is) graphics card - hardly enough to do anything in 3d...  So I would have a hard time recommending anyone use virtual XP for any Inventor work (tbh, I'd be surprised if Inventor ran at all).

We use XP mode to use our old large format printer, and that's enough of a pain - would hate to have to use it for cad work. 

While on the topic of virtual XP mode - don't forget it runs as a separate pc within Win 7 so it is outside any Win 7 virus scanner, etc.  So if you plan to use it then make sure to consider installing a suitable virus scanner within it - which means ANOTHER licence...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 9 of 13
blair

I would spend $80.00 from someone like Newegg and buy a second HD, load XP on it and dual boot your machine for the few times you need IV2008.

Not pretty, but IV2008 will run on it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 13
bsand640
in reply to: blair

Thanks for your comments, I will give some of this a try. __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7139 (20120515) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com
Message 11 of 13
fluffysoniaJ

thanks for all the tips. I've been having the same basic problem on my Windows 8.1 computer. when I install inventor 2008 and try and open a model, it just crashes there and then - basically unuseable. I have been trying all the compatibilty settings I could find, but still no luck. Then I tried the steps in this blog Install Inventor 2008 in Windows 8 and now I'm up and running - might help someone else

bye...

sonja

Message 12 of 13
nswiderski

Hello, I have a Dell M4500 workstation with Win 7 pro 64 bits and Inventor 2008 works very well. It has a very few crashed (actually it s crashing very less than autocad 2008 on XP, which is very unstable).

I have a Quadro and installs new drivers every 3 months and still works.

My release is Built 342 2008 SP3

Have you tried installing SP3?

Message 13 of 13
LT.Rusty
in reply to: sam_m

@sam_m wrote:

Virtual XP only runs as a 4 meg (S3 - whatever that is) graphics card - hardly enough to do anything in 3d...  

S3 was one of the early manufacturers of 3D cards.  I had a 4 MB S3 ViRGE card in my Pentium MMX back in, oh, 1997.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report