Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2008 and Technical Illustrations

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
dwaynem213
1011 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor 2008 and Technical Illustrations

Hi there, does anyone have information on how useful inventor 2008 is when it comes to making a technical illustration? and let me also know if there is any short coming in that aspect. This is because I am looking for a Dissertation topic and I want to base it on Technical illustrations using Autodesk inventor. Thank you
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: dwaynem213

>This is because I am looking for a Dissertation topic
At what level is this dissertation intended?
I think you are going to be hardpressed to fine enough information on Inventor for Technical Illustrations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
Josh_Petitt

I was thinking the same thing. If this is a dissertation for a 1 semester CAD course then it might be a good topic. If it is a MS or PhD dissertation, then there is not enough info, or opportunities for research.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

There were a couple of classes at AU 2007 that might help you in your
research. Send me an email direct and I will pass on the email
addresses of the authors.

dwaynem213 wrote:
> Hi there, does anyone have information on how useful inventor 2008 is when it comes to making a technical illustration? and let me also know if there is any short coming in that aspect. This is because I am looking for a Dissertation topic and I want to base it on Technical illustrations using Autodesk inventor. Thank you

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Caliper LifeSciences

R2008 Pro SP2 D3D
XP Pro SP2
Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
3 GB DDR
Quadro FX 3000
nVidia 6.14.11.6262 w/registry update
Dell UltraSharp 24" Widescreen LCD
Message 5 of 18
dwaynem213

Thanks for the reply....The dissertation is for my Bsc in CAD. the dissertation is meant to try and find a solution or an alternative method to a CAD problem. so i think i might be able to work with inventor in this case. Any more information on this is highly welcome. Thanks
Message 6 of 18
dwaynem213

thanks for the reply. Can you please let me know how to get your email adress. Thanks
Message 7 of 18
Josh_Petitt

by a Technical Illustration, do you mean a drawing as part of a printed manual? Inventor is very good at producing technical illustrations. I think the biggest problem that has been addressed on this forum is integration with word processing programs. The problem there is having an easily updateable document that stays in sync with the design, has appropriate printing resolution, and can be labeled to make a list of illustrations for the document table of contents.

In the "real" world, I don't know how much this is actually done compared to design documentation. We don't do any documentation outside Inventor, but for our needs there is relatively little writing compared to drawing and annotation.
Message 8 of 18
dwaynem213

Thank you. I will look into the suggestion you put down. I am talking about an illustration such as the attached and looking at comparing methodologies on how best to create such within Inventor, a 2D software and an illustration package.
Message 9 of 18
Josh_Petitt

ah, well Inventor cannot produce that image directly, but with a combination of Inventor Studio and Photoshop, you could make that image fairly easy (given that you already had a complete model of the motor 😉 )
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Should appear in the "from". It is hal.gwin@caliperls.com

dwaynem213 wrote:
> thanks for the reply. Can you please let me know how to get your email adress. Thanks

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Caliper LifeSciences

R2008 Pro SP2 D3D
XP Pro SP2
Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
3 GB DDR
Quadro FX 3000
nVidia 6.14.11.6262 w/registry update
Dell UltraSharp 24" Widescreen LCD
Message 11 of 18
dwaynem213

thank you for your reply. Can you please give me a few examples of such word processing programs. Thank you
Message 12 of 18
Josh_Petitt

do a search on this site for "manuals" or similar topics. Microsoft Word and Adobe Illustrator are two that come to mind, but there might be more.
Message 13 of 18
dwaynem213

thanks yet again for your reply. I have got one more question though. The question is, has there been a solution to this problem, and if there hasn't, have you got any suggestions as to how best to overcome it. Thanks
Message 14 of 18
Josh_Petitt

this isn't my dissertation 😉 search this NG and you will find many variations on solutions.
Message 15 of 18
dan.mckibbon

one drawback I have found is the lack of cgm output. I use NX6 at work and have the ability to directly output to cgm files and then use them in Adobe Illustrator.

Message 16 of 18
sam_m
in reply to: dan.mckibbon

you do realise this topic was from 4 years ago???  I'm guessing (and hoping) the dissertation was finished long ago...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 17 of 18
marian_anson

great thread. very informative. i enjoy reading it.

[url=http://jimfloor.net/team-ina-provides-leverage]Leverage[/url]

Tags (1)
Message 18 of 18
dan.mckibbon
in reply to: sam_m

I am using Inventor 2011 and have not yet found a way to export or save to CGM file format. I supose Autodesk has not made this capability available in the last four years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report