Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 11 - Replace Model Reference in .idw file.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MCasenhiser
4454 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 11 - Replace Model Reference in .idw file.

Anyone know how to replace a model reference in and Inventor 11 .idw file. - It seems this is something easy to do in Inventor 12 but I don't see how to do it in 11..

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: MCasenhiser

I think you mean Inventor 2011 and Inventor 2012.. If so the "replace model reference" command was included in both versions and functions the same. In 2010 it was only included as part of the subscription advantage pack available to subscription customers only.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
MCasenhiser
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have Inventor 11 and do not see where to access this command. I can't find any reference to it in help either.

In Version 12 it is in Manage Tab > Modify Panel > Replace Model Reference

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

I still think you have 2011 and 2012... NOT 11 and 12

Inventor 11 was released in 2006 then next year they went to versions matching the coming year so Inventor 12 was actually INV 2008. Neither 11 nor 12 had the replace model reference button as it wasn't released till what I said above.

"maybe" it wasn't added till a service pack in 2011.

Inventor versions/release dates

Inventor 1 "Mustang" 9/20/99
Inventor 2 "Thunderbird" 3/1/00
Inventor 3 "Camaro" 8/1/00
Inventor 4 "Corvette" 12/1/00
Inventor 5 "Durango" 9/17/01
Inventor 5.3 "Prowler" 1/30/02
Inventor 6 "Viper" 10/15/02
Inventor 7 "Wrangler" 4/18/03
Inventor 8 "Cherokee" 10/15/03
Inventor 9 "Crossfire" 7/15/04
Inventor 10 "Freestyle" 4/6/05
Inventor 11 "Faraday" 4/6/06
Inventor 2008, "Goddard", 3/26/07
Inventor 2009, "Tesla", 3/24/08
Inventor 2010, "Hopper", 3/24/2009
Inventor 2011 "Sikorsky", 3/25/2010
Inventor 2012 "Brunel" 3/21/2011

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
MCasenhiser

We are worse off than I thought.. and time sure flies.. We have many copies of Inventor 11 and one of Inventor 2012  - that is why I cannot find the feature.

Thanks for the wake up call !

Message 6 of 8
SBix26

OK, in Inventor 11, the simplest way to change the model reference for one or two drawings is this:

- Rename (temporarily) A.ipt.

- Open A.idw, which now cannot locate A.ipt, and asks you where it is.

- Navigate to B.ipt, which, if it is a copy of A.ipt, will satisfy A.idw; save A.idw

- Rename A.ipt back to its original name.

This sounds rather complicated, but it is very quick for one or two files.  Basically, you're hiding the original reference so that Inventor has to ask, then showing it the new reference.

If you have a bunch to do, then Design Assistant will save you some mouse clicks, I think.

Message 7 of 8
MCasenhiser
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for the assistance.

Message 8 of 8
MZimmerle
in reply to: SBix26

Tried the following:

- Rename (temporarily) A.ipt.

- Open A.idw, which now cannot locate A.ipt, and asks you where it is.

- Navigate to B.ipt, which, if it is a copy of A.ipt, will satisfy A.idw; save A.idw

- Rename A.ipt back to its original name.

What if doing this causes IV to give the following message, "Selecting the file C:\...\A.ipt creates a cycle.  Please Choose a different file."?  (I am trying to make 'a family of prints' for a family of parts.  They generated be the same parent iPart and I think that the idw was created with the iPart itself.

I tried to do this in DA and when I save the changes, the NAME field reverts back to the originally loaded file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MZimmerle

2009 Inventor Suite

Windows Vista Business 32 bit (x86)

Intell Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz / nVidia FX1700 (512MB) / 4BG RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums