Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 11 Content Center Slow

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
m.granata
343 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 11 Content Center Slow

I recently installed IV 11. Why is the Content Center very slow to populate? So far this is the only issue I have with IV 11. I am hoping something is not configured correctly and I am not in need of another hardware upgrade. Basically my workstation is configured as follows: Dual 2.8 GHz. Xeon CPUs, 2 GB. Ram, SATA Hard Drive, NVidia Quadro FX1100 graphics card, Win XP Pro w/SP2. I appreciate any ideas.

Mike Granata
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: m.granata

I believe CC is just excruciatingly slow the first time you load it.
After the initial load up it should be faster...its just the nature of
the beast!

mgranata wrote:
> I recently installed IV 11. Why is the Content Center very slow to populate? So far this is the only issue I have with IV 11. I am hoping something is not configured correctly and I am not in need of another hardware upgrade. Basically my workstation is configured as follows: Dual 2.8 GHz. Xeon CPUs, 2 GB. Ram, SATA Hard Drive, NVidia Quadro FX1100 graphics card, Win XP Pro w/SP2. I appreciate any ideas.
>
> Mike Granata
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Other suggestions. If you never use GB and JIS content, detach these
libraries. Likewise for the other standards.
Another more radical approach:

* Create a library of your own (make sure it is read/write)
* Copy all the content you use from the standard libraries to yours.
* Add materials/change names/change part numbers
* detach the standard libraries and use only your own company
standard library.

The key with either option, is the more you can limit the data to search
the better. Last time I asked the entire content center with all
libraries attached was searching* 5 million* parts.

-Kevin Schneider

mgranata wrote:
> I recently installed IV 11. Why is the Content Center very slow to populate? So far this is the only issue I have with IV 11. I am hoping something is not configured correctly and I am not in need of another hardware upgrade. Basically my workstation is configured as follows: Dual 2.8 GHz. Xeon CPUs, 2 GB. Ram, SATA Hard Drive, NVidia Quadro FX1100 graphics card, Win XP Pro w/SP2. I appreciate any ideas.
>
> Mike Granata
>
Message 4 of 8
m.granata

Kevin:

Your idea sounds pretty good. So far that looks like the approach I'll take. However, your comments do raise other questions. How large was the database for content center in Inventor 10? Was it close to 5 million parts? If so, what could contribute to the content center speed reduction in Inventor 11? Does the AutoDrop feature have anything to do with it? If so, can AutoDrop be disabled for content center? After all, by the time you get to content center you generally know what type and size of fastener, bearing, etc. you need. So selecting it as in Inventor 10 is not too difficult.

Thank you,

Mike Granata
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

The 11 content center is now one unified library that includes all tune
and pipe, all previous Mechsoft, and pre-existing Autodesk library parts
and additional new content.

In inventor 10 the library was still split between Autodesk and mechsoft
so the current library is significantly larger.

mgranata wrote:
> Kevin:
>
> Your idea sounds pretty good. So far that looks like the approach I'll take. However, your comments do raise other questions. How large was the database for content center in Inventor 10? Was it close to 5 million parts? If so, what could contribute to the content center speed reduction in Inventor 11? Does the AutoDrop feature have anything to do with it? If so, can AutoDrop be disabled for content center? After all, by the time you get to content center you generally know what type and size of fastener, bearing, etc. you need. So selecting it as in Inventor 10 is not too difficult.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike Granata
Message 6 of 8
m.granata

Kevin:

Thanks for the information. I am sure you realize I was curious if AutoDrop was in some way contributing to the reduced performance of content center. Content center is populating faster as I use it. However, there are still delays that didn't occur in Inventor 10 when actually inserting the part into the assembly. It may be time to upgrade my workstation.

Thanks again,

Mike Granata
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

To get the nice autodrop preview Inventor needs to calculate it. this is
then cached for future use. You should see the first time you drop a
family. It will seem slow, but then the second time it should be faster.
I suspect this is what is going on.

-Kevin Schneider

mgranata wrote:
> Kevin:
>
> Thanks for the information. I am sure you realize I was curious if AutoDrop was in some way contributing to the reduced performance of content center. Content center is populating faster as I use it. However, there are still delays that didn't occur in Inventor 10 when actually inserting the part into the assembly. It may be time to upgrade my workstation.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mike Granata
Message 8 of 8
pavel.pokorny

Hello,
if you hold Alt while doubleclicking the family, you won't start autodrop but you will use the traditional way of selecting the member.
Regards,
Pavel Pokorny, Autodesk

Pavel Pokorny

Sr SW Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report