Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventer 2014 - Holes in assemblies not appearing in dwgs

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1711 Views, 10 Replies

Inventer 2014 - Holes in assemblies not appearing in dwgs

Hi again, thanks for all the help with my last post. I now have a new and improved problem!

I created an assembly in inventor 2014 using some 3/4" thick base plates that were created/extruded with no holes in them. Once I had created my fabrication I then put holes (for anchor bolts) in the base plates. To do this I went to the 3D Model Tab and then clicked Create 2d Sketch and sketched out my holes then extrude cut. I never clicked edit part. In my assembly I can see the holes, check the dimensions and so on. When I go to create my detailed fabrication dwg drawings my holes still appear when I am detailing the whole assembly. When I make additional sheets and bring in individual parts (mostly the base plates) to detail hole patterns and whatnot the holes do not appear. Parts that when drawing I right clicked then edited before i put the holes in show up in both views. 

Anyone have some insight? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Thats how it works..

Its "assembly level edits" vs "part level edits"

assembly level edits do not (and should not) show up in the part files.

By not clicking the edit you were applying those holes (features) in the assembly only.. 

This addin can migrate assembly level featured down to the part level (or just do it right the first time)

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3ainvent...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks, I figured this much. I was wondering though if I had missed something (other than rightckicking edit) when I was creating the sketch on the assembly or done the extrude feature. The plug in just saved me from re doing the parts so double thanks to you!
Message 4 of 11
mrattray

To elaborate on mcgyvr's comment: these assembly level features are meant for post assembly machining steps. Typically you would use these with weldments, finish grinding, etc. You would not want these features to show in the part details because they're not supposed to be there until after assembly.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
Eric
Message 6 of 11
Davarn-Tool&Die

A year and a half ago, when I was starting out in Inventor, I did the same thing as Eric. Only, I put literally hundreds of holes in my assembly. That little App save me from hours of redo. Needless to say I never needed it again.
Message 7 of 11
RobertWK

The link to this doesn't work; what is the name of the app?

Message 8 of 11
Davarn-Tool&Die
in reply to: RobertWK

The name of the app is "Feature Migrator" but I can't find it in their app store. I used it two years ago in Inventor 2013.

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Davarn-Tool&Die

I used it in Mid February when this thread was posted, so it did work that recently. I would have followed that link from the solution, so if it doesnt work I am not much help. However if someone can explain how I could make a copy of the app and PM it to you i would certainly do that to help out. (not sure if that could even be done)

Eric 

Message 10 of 11
Davarn-Tool&Die

Here is the download file from Inventor 2013. Not sure if it will work in later or earlier versions.

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Davarn-Tool&Die

Bolted Connection Component Generator will do the job. Just do not choose any fasteners.

Catalin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report