Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INV2014 - Simplify / Shrinkwrap very slow

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
lex.brink
2970 Views, 8 Replies

INV2014 - Simplify / Shrinkwrap very slow

Hi,

We're planning on upgrading to Inventor 2014 Pro. However with testing we noticed that both the simplify and the shrinkwrap function perform very poorly.

In 2013, creating a shrinkwrap from a very simple assebmly (4 pcs), takes 5 to 10 seconds. For larger assemblies (30 pcs) this would be 10 to 15 seconds.

If we try this in 2014, the small one takes about 5 minutes and the larger one can take up to half an hour! I don't believe 2014 would require that much more computing power. There has to be a problem either with inventor or in the settings.

Is this a common issue and can it be resolved?

Specs:

W7 64 bit

Quad core Xeon 2,7 Ghz

Quadro FX1800

8Gb memory

3Dconnexion Spaceexplorer

Dual screens

- Drivers are the latest Autodesk approved ones.

- Uninstall tool used to uninstall all previous 2013 products.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: lex.brink

Have you installed SP1 for 2014

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
lex.brink
in reply to: blair

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Yes I have.
Message 4 of 9
blair

I don't see to have many options in 2014 on my system to play with in the Simplify. I thought there used to be more settings. I don't use the Simplify / Shrinkwrap much other than in Beta Testing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
pball
in reply to: blair

I'm currently trying to simplify an assembly in a project and it's taking a long time for me also. It's been going for 30 minutes and I have no clue how much longer it will take, since Inventor has completely locked up. At first the progress bar in the bottom right was moving, but it's also locked up.

I have inventor 2014 with update 2. I'm also more annoyed that there is no way to see how it's progressing or a way to stop it without force closing inventor and losing any unsaved work. But this isn't really saving me any time if it's going to take forever to create a simplified part.

Message 6 of 9
samiharada

Thank you for reporting the issue.

I am able to reproduce the behavior you described - 2014 is about 40% slower with my dataset on my machine compared to 2013.

Possible workaround I came up with are

* Migrate the whole assembly first

* Using compatibility mode (Application Options > Hardware], then restart Inventor)

I reported this issue as DID 1505961 in our product databse and ask development team

to do more investigation.

Thanks again for your support.

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk, Inc.

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Message 7 of 9
Guthery1

I've been having the same issue. I've started using the Task Scheduler to run my shrink wraps. It works and it doesn't take very long. Over night, at lunch, while I'm doing something else on my computer. It doesn't like if you are using Inventor when you run it so keep that in mind.
Message 8 of 9
jinglisVMSZQ
in reply to: samiharada

This box is not avaialble in Professional 2021. is there another work around?

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jinglisVMSZQ

Hi! It sounds like you have encountered performance issue when creating Simplified or Shrinkwrap body. It is possible there are bad bodies. Press Ctrl+F7. Are there any bad bodies reported? If yes, please find those parts and repair or exclude the bad bodies.

Please share an example that exhibits the behavior. Forum experts can help take a look and understand the behavior better. There could be geometry specific issue here.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report