Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inv 2015 top down changes in IAM not updating IPT files

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
timberwolffxdl
443 Views, 3 Replies

Inv 2015 top down changes in IAM not updating IPT files

This is very odd.  We upgraded from 2010 to 2015.  In 2010, any change to a part done "top down" in an assembly updated the part itself in it's independent file.

In 2015, it seems to be hit or miss.  Some of the parts are updating, some are not.  I have a simple fixture.  3 parts in an assembly.  I needed to setup holes and other features to align through the assembly.  I can create the features I need (again, tapped holes, dowel holes, etc) in the assembly and all parts show as they should.  But when I open the individual part files, the features do not appear.

In the attached images you will see the assembly, which has multiple tapped holes (appearing as hidden lines in this view), but the indivitual part file has NONE of the features.

Any help is appreciated!

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: timberwolffxdl

AFAIK.. There as been no change from 2010 to 2015 as far as "assembly level" features being pushed down into the assembly..

BUT there may have been an addin from the autodesk labs that was used in 2010 that would do that (I think it may have been available then and that may be where the confusion comes in)..

A feature (hole/etc..) applied at the assembly level is NOT present in the IPT file and should not be..

IF you want that feature at the ipt level either edit it in the part or make sure you edit the part in the iam file..

Sounds like you simply applied the feature (at the assembly level) and did not have the part file in the "edit" state at that time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
timberwolffxdl
in reply to: mcgyvr

you know what, I think you're right.  There is a difference in top down workflow from 2010.  But I didn't pay attention.  I wasn't actually putting the part in edit mode, I was uing the design feature in the assembly.  I don't recall if 2010 had that, because I remember always editing the part in place instead.

thanks for tripping my memory if nothing else 🙂

Message 4 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: timberwolffxdl

This looks like a perfect application for multi-body solids.  All design and modeling done in one .ipt file, then push the solids out (Make Components) as individual parts into an assembly, everything controlled from the original file.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report