Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inv 2013 uses 100% CPU

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
karthur1
1147 Views, 12 Replies

Inv 2013 uses 100% CPU

I have an older machine that we are trying to run Inventor 2013 on.  It gets really sluggish after using it for a while.  .  With the Windows Task Manager running, when I open an empty idw sheet, Inventor uses 100% CPU just by moving the mouse around on the screen.  Of course, when I stop moving it goes back down to like 2%.

This machine is running XP (4GB ram).  I am running with the \3GB switch active. Processor is a Pentium4 (3Ghz). Under Control panel, System Settings>Advanced tab, I have disabled all the Windows Visual effects. Also set the virtual memory to 4Gb.

I have tried it changing the Inventor "Software Graphics" in Tools >App options checked and unchecked and it does the same thing.

The video card is a ATI Radeon X300 (128MB) with the latest driver.  The card is not the greatest (by a long shot).... I know, but we are only trying to do really simple stuff on this.

Any ideas on why Inventor takes so much processor just with the mouse movement?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

Did it run OK with older versions of Inventor?
Does it do this with any other software?
Is windows fully updated?
Is the mouse driver up to date? (might as well check all drivers)
What shape is the hard disk in? I had a colleague who was having terrible performance on his older machine. I took a look and noticed he had <1MB (yes, MB) of free space. Cleaning up his HD helped considerably.
You could also try setting free space allocation to be managed by Windows instead of a fixed size. I generally recommend people do so, anyways. I think AutoDesk recommends it somewhere, too.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: mrattray

It ran "OK with inv 2010 on it.  But this is worse.  Sometimes I have to stop what I am doing and let it "catch up".  Really annoying.

Doesnt do it with any other software.  With Autocad, the usage goes up to around 15% when moving the mouse around.

Plenty of HD space.. over 100GB free.

I will check the mouse driver and let windows manage the memory.

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
LorenJ

Hi,

I'm not a hardware guru, but I've seen some impressive results lately from relatively inexpensive upgrades.

1) Video card performance has dramatically increased in the last couple of years. Take a look at www.videobenchmark.net/high_end_gpus They only use the PassMark test, but it gives you an idea of the relative performance of the cards.

Since you're on a budget, switch to the Price-Peformance chart. My son and I built a computer over the holidays, and he's pretty happy with the GeForce GTX 650 Ti. It's only $130 and its Performance-Price ratio is 20.64. It isn't top of the line hardware, but something in this price range should be a lot better than your current card.

2) You could also try an SSD hard drive. I mentor a high school robotics team, and their older laptops struggled with Inventor. We had to replace the hard drive in one of them, and the change was so dramatic that we upgraded all of them to SSDs. There's some serious sticker shock, but most people seem to be using smaller SSDs for their primary drive and standard drives for the rest of their data.
LorenJ
Message 5 of 13
blair
in reply to: LorenJ

It's been so long since I've had to do anything with XP. Next you'll be trying NT4.0

• Copy the line in YOUR “boot.ini” file that reads something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect 

and paste it right below the line. 

Edit the pasted line to add /3GB before /fastdetect to read like multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (3GB)" /3GB /fastdetect

or

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (3GB-2800)" /3GB /userva=2800 /fastdetect

• Save and exit notepad

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 13
blair

Probably the biggest problem with XP, will be that it doesn't take advantage of DX11. If I remember correctly it only runs DX9

IV is a real graphics hog.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: blair

Blair,

My boot.ini looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro /3GB" /3GB /userva=2800 /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Systems runs good for about 10-20 minutes while working in Inventor.  Making small (really Simple) idws.  Then it begins to slow to a crawl and is unusable.  Reboot and repeat.  Don't think its a heat issue, since rebooting fixes it temporarily.

The 100% CPU usage might not be related to Inventor slowing down, that might be "normal" for 2013 running on a XP 32 bit system.

Kirk

Message 8 of 13
mrattray

Just out of curiosity, since I've never seen it before: what does "/userva=2800 do?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 13
karthur1
in reply to: mrattray

fine tuning of the memory....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

Message 10 of 13
blair

I might try setting the user variable down to 2200.

I might even try downloading the latest mouse drivers and do a complete un-install of the mouse drivers, reboot and install of the latest version drivers.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 13
DeerSpotter

Evil Inventor.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................................

See My LinkedIn Profile
Message 12 of 13
richiesuk

hi all,

since this morning after started inv 2013 pro (sp2) on win7 64bit machine (all win update on it) 1 cpu runs on 100%.

(8% on a 6 core xeon HT on), restarted ws few times, re-installed sp2, updated ati catalyst.

has anybody noticed this recently?

thanks,

Richard

Message 13 of 13
richiesuk
in reply to: DeerSpotter

switched off HT, same result..Smiley Indifferent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report