Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTERFERENCE

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
rclement
605 Views, 12 Replies

INTERFERENCE

WHEN YOUR IN ASSEMBLIES AND YOU CHECK IF THERE IS A INTERFERENCE. IT CREATES A RED SOLID. BUT YOU LOOSE IT. CAN THAT BE SAVED AS A SOLID SOMEHOW"

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: rclement

You could do a Derived Component and then Combine-Intersection.

The advantage to this technique is it would leave your originals intact, yet automatically update if you change the originals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 13
JoyceZhou

Thanks for the suggestion. There is another suggestion for Interference Analysis Improvements at Ideastation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Interference-Analysis-Improvements/idi-p/4838599 Could you also add this suggestion to Ideastation so we could collect them together? Thanks! Joyce

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 4 of 13
rclement

i checked out a video on youtube for interference but its using autocad 3d. i found that autocad 3d does alot more than inventor intereference. . a whole dialoge box appears with the ability to keep the solids. not bad for autocad..why doesnt inventor do this. you would think inventor would have more capabilities?

bob c

Message 5 of 13
JDMather

@rclement wrote:

i checked out a video on youtube for interference but its using autocad 3d. i found that autocad 3d does alot more than inventor intereference. . a whole dialoge box appears with the ability to keep the solids. not bad for autocad..why doesnt inventor do this. you would think inventor would have more capabilities?

bob c

You are describing completely different operation than CAN be done in Inventor as well. 

And in fact, it is parametrically associative in Inventor where it is not in AutoCAD.  Not bad for Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 13
rclement
in reply to: JDMather

maybe cause autocad is more wireframe? all i know is that people have asked for this feature from 2007. because i searched interference here.

i was wondering why autodesk has responded to this issue. or maybe they have by not doing something. i also have used nx in yrs pass and they had the capibilities as well.

either way jd you have to say would be more useful

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@rclement wrote:

either way jd you have to say would be more useful

I don't know what you are saying.  I am telling you the exact same capability is ALREADY in Inventor.

Message 8 of 13
rclement

where by using derive.

i dont see it. i use interfernce i get a red solid that disappears. and a volume t

Message 9 of 13
JDMather

Attach your assembly here.

I will show solution created in Inventor and created in AutoCAD for comparison.

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

Well, no files - let me work through this in Inventor 2013 and AutoCAD 2013.

AutoCAD does not return the volume - extra massprop step for that.

The Inventor tool you are using is an Inspection/Analysis tool, not a geometry creation tool.

Notice in assembly enviroment tools like Extrude/Sweep.... only cut away material.

There is a way to Copy Object and Split or Sculpt to get an interference volume in assembly as you requested, but I don't think that is what you are after (I could be wrong and if so, I can demonstrate that process as well (it is pretty easy)).

Interference Analysis.png

Back in a minute with physical part of the red interference like AutoCAD would create.

Message 11 of 13
JDMather

Here it is.  What did that take? 3min?

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

Actually half that time was zipping, replying and attaching the zip.  So really more like 1.5 minutes.

The big advantage - it is parametrically associative, so any changes in the assembly or component parts is automatically updated (if desired).  (could suppress or break link if desired to preserve as-is for reference after additional changes)

Mass Prop.png

Message 13 of 13
rclement

ok i tried it . cool. does what you said it would do. im not famaliar with derived parts as you. so i had to fill in some of the steps but ya learn everyday with inventor. and the forums are a very useful tool.

thank you for your time and effort

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report