Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel vs AMD......

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
timchr
11842 Views, 16 Replies

Intel vs AMD......

I am looking to buy a new PC for home use that will be running AutoCAD 2012 now but we will be upgrading to Inventor within the next couple months. The models we will be creating are pretty simple and our assemblies at most 40 parts. Plus this will be just for at home so I don't need assembly or rendering capability.

Here is the processor in question: AMD Phenom II six-core processor 1045T vs Core i5-2300.

Is either one better? I have never owned a AMD processor but the rest of the specs and price of the PC is tempting me.

Thanks for the heads up.

If interested here is the PC I am looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Elite+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+8GB+...

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
goddardr
in reply to: timchr

I would never buy a computer that used AMD processors, but that is just me. I am sure you would be fine with either one.

Message 3 of 17
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: goddardr

I've run AMD for over 15 years. I have 30+ systems, all AMD.

It's a personal choice, not a technical one.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 17
timchr
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Thanks for the info...

Message 5 of 17
ampster401

I used to think the same way as goddardr and would never buy AMD.  I based that off of issues yrs ago about MS Office for example IRC didn't work 100% with AMD chips...Office may be the wrong software I'm thinking of since it's been many yrs, but that was the general idea - that some software apps didn't work well with AMD chips.

I have not heard of that issue in recent yrs now.

I have bought my first AMD chip based system recently and have had no problems with either Adesk software of MS Office.  And the price difference is what sold me on buying AMD.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 17
blair

It's like buying either a Ford pickup or a Chevy pickup. Heaven forbid those that by Dodges.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: blair

I'm running 2012 on an AMD 4 or 5 years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 17
acad-caveman

Actually, I don't think it was ever an issue with the AMD CPU itself, rather the chipsets on the MB.

I've had as many compatibility issues with Intel CPU and Via ( or some other )chipsets on the MB as I've had with any of the AMD based systems.

Ever since then I just swear by an Intel/Intel combo. Further than that I prefer an Intel brand motherboard as well.

The ASUS board ( out of necessity ) I use now is solid enough as to never crash, but sometimes some funky things do happen.

With that said, I'll be building a new machine in the near future an am open for suggestions for a rock solid CPU/Motherboard combination.

Don't much care for it to be a speed demon, stability is far more important.

Message 9 of 17
blair

EVGA products do come with long warranties (if registered on their website within the defined period of time). If a manufacture is willing to stand behind their products with long warranties, they most likely have put quality into it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 17

No crashes here.... 🙂

Chipsets have improved tremendously for both Intel and AMD. I wouldn't use a product that crashes.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 11 of 17
SBix26

I'm also running latest version of Inventor at home with a 4.5 year-old AMD CPU, Win7 64-bit, no problems whatsoever, unless I want real-time ray tracing-- then it slows to a crawl, but the graphics system has something to do with that, too.

Message 12 of 17
Ray_Feiler

A long long time ago IBM outsourced x86 CPU's from both Intel and AMD. Before they became who they are today.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 13 of 17
goddardr
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Like I said it is a matter of choice. I live right next to Intel's R&D plant and know a few very smart people that work there. That doesn't make me smart just biased. I am running Intel dual quads and they are very fast.

Message 14 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: SBix26

For what its worth..of the 2 processors the OP asked about the Intel i5 one ranks higher in just about all peformance tests.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 15 of 17
timchr
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks everyone for the replies. I picked up the AMD installed computer and will be running it and setting up over the weekend. My company does not have Inventor yet, but will this year or 1st quarter of next. I am going to DL the 30 day trial version at home this weekend and see how it runs on the new machine. Our machines at work won't have any issues running the Inventor, our IT group fell victum to the "workstation" claim and bought those instead of listening to me.... They basically paid about $500 more per unit than needed.... Atleast it's not my budget!

Message 16 of 17
kolesaa

how things are now with the new CPU from AMD: A8, A10?

Message 17 of 17
LT.Rusty
in reply to: kolesaa

@kolesaa wrote:

how things are now with the new CPU from AMD: A8, A10?

Well, my last 6 builds were AMD - Thunderbird 900, Athlon XP 2000 / 64 3000 / 64 3800 X2 / 64 5000 X2, then a Phenom 9850, plus a Phenom II X3 laptop.  I had quite a lot of inertia going for AMD, over ... what, 12? 13 years?  Something like that, anyway.

This time around, though ... the bang-for-the-buck comparison didn't go so well for AMD.  I've got an i7-4770k now in my desktop and an i7-2630QM in my laptop.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report