Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inte Xeon Processor E5-2620 v2 (Six Core HT, 2.1GHz Turbo) and inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Ryan.Martinez
2674 Views, 5 Replies

Inte Xeon Processor E5-2620 v2 (Six Core HT, 2.1GHz Turbo) and inventor

Anyone have experience using this processor with Inventor? The IT guy at my company speced a new workstation for me and is trying to tell me this will be a huge upgrade from my Xenon W3570 3.2 ghz quad core. feel like this is going to run inventor poorly as it does not even meet the minimum requirements for the program. Any thoughts?
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

NO.. You want the fastest processor speed you can afford..

Most of Inventor is still not multithreaded.. So having more cores does NOT help..

A single core 3.5Ghz processor would walk all over that as far as Inventor is concerned.

You want 3.5Ghz and higher IMO.. quad core is fine. 

Now post the rest of the system specs.. 

You want plenty of RAM.. decent gaming video card and 3.5Ghz+ processor. Core i7/Xeon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: mcgyvr

This is always what i have told the IT guy but he seems to think this will be better. He didn't buy my speech about the gaming card and directx either.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 4 of 6
blair

Unless you are doing a lot of Rendering and FEA work, then go with more cores. For straight Inventor modeling, go with the fastest clock speed as posted. About 6 releases ago, Inventor was OpenGL based and a "pro" OpenGL card was required. Since then, a fast "Gamming" card is all that's needed.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

@ryan.martinez wrote:
This is always what i have told the IT guy but he seems to think this will be better. He didn't buy my speech about the gaming card and directx either.

He is simply incorrect. 
Time to set him straight before you get stuck with a crappy computer. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
brian.cranston
in reply to: mcgyvr

I suggest a Xeon E5-1650 v2.  It should be about the same price as the other CPU, but top at 3.93 GHz versus 2.76 GHz for the E5-2620V2.  Also, if the price is the same, spec your RAM using four modules.  That will help a little in raw throughput.

If you can wait 2-3 months, the V3 stuff should be out.  The biggest difference is DDR4 memory at a higher frequency and adding a couple more cores. That's great for Sim CFD.  As to Inventor- a little bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#Xeon_E5-1xxx_v2_.28uniprocessor.29

-Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report