Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting Views into Model Space

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
chrisvanasten7545
5597 Views, 9 Replies

Inserting Views into Model Space

Our customers insist that we provide our drawings in AutoCAD format and that the drawings have the views in paper space (layout) as well as the full scale view in model space.  We are using an Inventor dwg to satisfy the requirement for AutoCAD format but I am not sure if we can get all of the views in model space and paper space without saving as an AutoCAD dwg and creating a viewport.  I have used the "Insert in Model Space" command when you right click on a view, but this will only insert one view and then the command is no longer available.  Is there a way to add all of the view to model space using this command?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bobvdd
in reply to: chrisvanasten7545

No only one view in a Inventor DWG can be inserted in model space.
Why would you want to duplicate the geometry multiple times in modelspace?
Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 10
hvnfn1
in reply to: bobvdd

I would like to use several different views from my drawing and insert them into model space.  Is there a way to grab multiple views at once or to create multiple views?  I have found that I can create one view and then insert it into an AutoCad dwg.  I will then need to delete that current AutoCad block in order to insert another view.  It seems only only one view can exist in the Inventor Dwg.

Message 4 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi bobvdd, 

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd share some feedback. The issue here is that if you have 3 views on a sheet of an some machine design (top, front, side), and you want to place these into your Inventor DWG so that another department can access these views as blocks (via X-refs)  to use in an AutoCAD layout drawing.

Currently to do this there are several hoops to jump through to get all three views inserted:

1. Right click on the first view and use the Insert In Model Space option.
  2. Right click on the ModelSpace (AutoCAD) node in the browser and choose Activate.
  3. Expand the ModelSpace (AutoCAD) browser node and drill down to to the block of the view.
  4. Right click on the block and choose Delete.
  5. Right click on the Sheet node in the browser and choose Activate.
  6. Right click on the second view and use the Insert In Model Space option.
  7. Repeat steps 2 thru 6 for each view you want to insert.
  8. Expand the Drawing Resources folder in the browser and drill down to to the AutoCAD Blocks folder, and you'll find the block definition of each view.
  9. Save the DWG in Inventor.
  10. Close the DWG in Inventor.
  11. Open the DWG in AutoCAD and use the Insert command to insert each block.

hvnfn1,

The steps above will allow you do what you're asking.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 10
bobvdd
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks for the update Curtis. It looks very cumbersome indeed to have to delete the views first to allow multiple view blocks and having to re-insert and align these blocks again in AutoCAD.

I would almost be tempted to say that at the point where the drawing is not too complex, I would re-create the views and dimensions on the AutoCAD side with the Model documentation feature (VIEWBASE) but then again you would get stuck  when trying to copy the paperspace views into modelspace (I understood from teh original question that it is a requirement to have the result in modelspace in AutoCAD).

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 6 of 10
hvnfn1

My original question arose when I was checking the fit of two machines.  One machine was designed in 2D AutoCad (in model space) and the second machine in Inventor.  I wanted to grab several views from the Inventor dwgs and match them up to my AutoCad dwgs to check form and fit.  I ended up using the "Insert in Model Space" function on Inventor.  I created one file, copied it into my AutoCad dwg, deleted the file in Inventor dwg, and created the next view.  If there is an easier way to do get to the same result, I'd love to know.

Message 7 of 10
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: hvnfn1

Next time inside of AutoCAD use Design Center and browse to the Inventor.dwg file, expand the blocks folder, then drag and drop into AutoCAD model space.

DesignCenter.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 8 of 10
MattWinyard
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

That has just saved me literally hours of work, thank you so much for sharing that tip!

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Message 9 of 10

Hi,

It was very good explanation but I could not follow at step #4, when I delete block it is also deleting view.

Can you please describe how to explode this block without loosing view will be appreciated?

Thank you  

Message 10 of 10

Hi! Or save the Inventor idw file as Inventor dwg. Open it in AutoCAD -> EXPORTLAYOUT.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report