Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting Bolts

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
636 Views, 12 Replies

Inserting Bolts

how would i go about inserting a bolt

mike
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MechMan_
in reply to: Anonymous

Pretty basic question.

Place component. Insert constraint.

Let us know if you're looking for a more specific answer to a more specific question.

MechMan
Message 3 of 13
rllthomas

Well, first make sure you have the right bolt. Diameter, length, pitch, rh vs lh, and grade at least. Consider the use of a flat washer because it:
1) Helps prevent scoring on the mating part.
2) Has the appropriate diamter to prevent stress concentration near the head of the bolt.

Also note that if you are worried about self losening you might consider a thread locker. Lock washers in general aren't a good choice. Studies have shown that they can actually make things worse. In addition the whole premise behind most lockwashers is flawed. Read up on the topic if this sounds like news to you. If you are more worried about removal than self losening I highly recommend the use of antiseize. Once you have determined these needs and prepped the bolt insert it into the hole and turn in cw for a rh thread, ccw for a lh thread. Assuming this is an individual bolt and not part of a pattern that needs to be tightened evenly once the bolt is threaded in by hand as far as it will go use a torque wrench to properly tension it.

I hope this is what you were asking LOL

Rich
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Rich, on a serious note for a second, where did you hear/read lockwashers make
things worse? Our company uses them religiously, and I don't really know why.

--
Dave Jacquemotte
Automation Designer
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

OK,
First, place the bolt into the assembly. In the browser, click on the "Constraint" icon. The fourth box shows a yellow bolt profile in a blue block. Click that. Pass the pointer over the bolt, and highlight the circle where the body of the bolt joins the head. The "2" buttion should then be active, so find the hole you want the bolt to fit, and highlight it. Be careful that you get the outermost circle on the surface, or you will end up with the bolt embedded inside the part. Click there, and you should get a preview. If you like it, click Apply. That should do it.

Tom
Message 6 of 13
xlisper

Only if you don't know how to use lockwashers.
Message 7 of 13
rllthomas

One of my coworkers went to a seminar that brought it up about 10 years ago. He came back with a book on bolted joint design. What is said made a lot of sense, the original premise of a split ring lock washer was that it was a spring that would keep the head in tension. But duh, you torque a bolt down and the whole thing is stretched like a spring with WAY MORE load than a wimpy lock washer. This also explains why a short grip length like bolting sheet metal together yields a joint more prone to losening.

I've found better references on the net in the past on this but a quick search now only turned up this. Notice this doesn't give any specifics on who did the study and when so it isn't exactly reliable. Anyway, bottom of the page.

http://e-mj.com/ar/mining_bolting_basics/
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

I know how to constrain the bolt, but I was
wondering if I had to draw the bolt myself or where the library of bolts
was.

mike
Message 9 of 13
MechMan_

Download iPart bolts from www.cbliss.com/inventor

You can also access the IV content library (if you installed it) by clicking at the top of the browser.

MechMan
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Check Sean's weekly FAQ post for some links on where to get iParts.
*** INVENTOR FAQ: MAR 17, 2003 ***

Or, while in an assembly, click on the word Model, at the top of the feature
browser, then select Library.
Personally, I recommend the use of iParts.

Mike
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

after I down loaded the nut library(or
so I thought it was a library) only one nut was in the zip.  Is this
correct?

mike
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

OK, at this point you need to read my tutorials on iparts. All of them.
You don't have to read them to the point that you know how to make them,
just understand how they work.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mike Drabic" wrote in message
news:07980A945F6B711D385567A7DA88A637@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> after I down loaded the nut library(or so I thought it was a library) only
one nut was in the zip. Is this correct?
>
> mike
Message 13 of 13
MechMan_

Yes, do as Sean said. In a nutshell the library is built into the part file you downloaded. Read up on Sean's tutorials on how to use them. iParts are powerful and flexible to use but there are some rules you need to follow. You'll be better off in the long run if you take the time to learn about them now.

Good luck.

MechMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report