Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Image into Drawing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
RobJV
5571 Views, 8 Replies

Insert Image into Drawing

Inventor 2011 Win 7 64

I can insert an image into my drawing but why can't I update it.  I selected link but there is no way of updating it.  Help says that you can click on it in the browser and choose update - that option is not there.  If I try to change source and pick the same image (updated version) I always get a crash or locked program.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: RobJV

Seems like a bug..

Only options I have are edit and change source.

When I do the "change source" option I get an error box with "Encountered an improper argument" but not a crash..

When I click edit the correct (latest) image is shown. But saving/modifying,etc.. nothing changes the image that is on the idw sheet (still the version of the image when it was first placed)

Only "workaround" is to delete the image and reinsert.

My test image was a png file if that matters.

And of course using paste special instead of insert object just gives the icon and file name (like it used to do for anything that didn't have it set to paint association) and not the actual image.. I would have thought Autodesk would have this crap corrected by now.

Amazing how a $5,000-7,500 cad program still can't get something as simple as an image to insert/update correctly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
RobJV
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for confirming issue is not just me.

Message 4 of 9
Dan_Margulius

Hello ,

I have similar issue with dissapearing pictures. is there any way we can solve this ?

Autodesk start taking this bug seriously. People are loosing time and money because of this issue.

Dan 

Message 5 of 9
gerhick

We have a similar problem with out images in Inventor, We use dozens of photos every week, so this is a massive inconvenience for us.

When we insert Photos in drawings we use Insert>From File, and select "link".

This works to get the photo in the drawing, but save and close, then revisit the drawing later, and all the photos are not visible. If you right click on the file in the 3rd Party browser node, the visible option is not ticked, so you can click it, but it remains unticked, and the image is still not visible.

The bounding box of the photo is visible on the drawing when you hover over it, and you can right click and the visibility option is checked, you can uncheck it, but then the bounding box is no longer visible, and you can't get it back.

You can double click on the file in the 3rd Part browser node, and the image will open in a new window as it should, so the link is still available.

If you change source, it works, you can view the new image, then you have to change source again to get the original photo. But it will inevitably dissappear next time you open the file.

I really hope there's a fix for this, because this is no way to continue working. 

Regards

PointZero Design and Drafting
Message 6 of 9
Dan_Margulius

Hey,

Autodesk can't reproduce the problem. If they can't reproduce it they can't fix it.

I am already waiting for 2012 version...

R.

Dan   

Message 7 of 9
CAD-One
in reply to: gerhick

Don't know if this is a solution. But, you could try it. On the drawing view, insert sketch, draw s rectangle. On the sketch ribbon, there must be an image icon, click it and choose the image you are trying to show. The advantage of showing the image this way over decal is that the image shows up in a non shaded view too. If you want to show decal images , then you should shade the view.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 8 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: CAD-One

@CAD-One wrote:
Don't know if this is a solution. But, you could try it. On the drawing view, insert sketch, draw s rectangle. On the sketch ribbon, there must be an image icon, click it and choose the image you are trying to show. The advantage of showing the image this way over decal is that the image shows up in a non shaded view too. If you want to show decal images , then you should shade the view.

I think the question is about idw drawing views.  No Decal in that environment.  I reported this bug here months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:

My test image was a png file if that matters.

I think someone from Autodesk indicated here very recently that it DOES matter.  I have not had a chance to test on my example yet - I will try to remember to try again later today when I get into the office.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums