Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Industrial robot positionning

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
eric.gauthier
491 Views, 8 Replies

Industrial robot positionning

Hi,

Anybody works with 6 axis industrial robots in assemblies?

Let's try this: place 3 times the same robot (representing 3 stations) side by side beside a belt conveyor (can be represented by a rectangular box). Now place 3 cubes on the conveyor representing product to be processed by each robot and moving on the conveyor from a station to the other. Don't matter with how or when boxes are moving from a station to the other and how they are held in place on the conveyor while processed by robots, my point is about robots positioning in Inventor (2014). For simplification, all robots will work perpendicularly and centered on the side of the box they're working on.

First robot needs to place its tool (let's simplify it by considering the tool as being center point of the last axis and same thing for each robot) on top side of its box (product) and then (second position for it) on the opposite side of its box.

Second robot works first on right side of its box, then on nearest side and finally on left side of its box.

Third robot works on opposite side of its box, then on top side and finally on left side of its box.

Finally, you add a similar conveyor on the opposite side of the robots representing the fact that the robots are working on products for 2 conveyors alternately!

I'd like to be able to see all robots at the same time in their different possible positions. 

Solutions not accepted:

- Rotate the product on the conveyor to have the robots always reach the required face on top for example.

- Use 3 differents assemblies of the robots.

- You can't move robots bases, bases have to be grounded on the floor

- If you consider create many positions in the assembly, you must be able to go from a position to any other one and don't get constraint error

- I know I could add many robots representing each of the differents positions

I hope my explanation is clear... and someone has a simple solution for me!

I think I'll need to post my files in seperates posts...

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Files 2...

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 3 of 9

Files 3...

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 4 of 9

Files 4...

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 5 of 9

Files 5... Compressed in 2 files (1 of 2)

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 6 of 9

Files 6... Compressed in 2 files (2 of 2)

COMPLETE

Eric G.
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 7 of 9
pball
in reply to: eric.gauthier

I don't really have time to make an example, but I've made a robot be able to move to different positions in an assembly before. Constrain the robot in it's own assembly so it can move properly. Add three of the robot assembly to your main assembly and make them all flexible. You can then constrain each robot in multiple positions and suppress the constraints for each position. then using positional representations you can unsuppress the constraints for a particular position. This is the only way I've been able to show a single robot in multiple positions. Depending on how you go about constraint errors might popup though.

The best way to show robots acting as they would in real life is to use a robot simulator package. That's how we typically check reaches and robot moves here, but our programmers are the ones that do that with our exported CAD for the cell and tool.
Message 8 of 9
Doug_DuPont

Hi Eric,

I do this all the time.

First your Robot Assembly model has to have a Postion Rep with all 6 axis set to Flexible.

Then in your main ****'y set all your robots to flexible.

With your main assembly postion Rep set to master. Constraint your first robot to it's first position. Make sure you name your constraints. Mine are like "Robot 1face-Load-Sta-1, Robot 1dia-Load-Sta-1. Naming will make this so much easier.

After you have your first robot contrained to the first postion, suppress those contraints.

Now constrain your First Robot to your second position. Rename your contraints, then suppress those.

Repeat this for all robots and all the places you want your robots to reach.

Now in the main assembly make a new position Rep and rename this to something that make sence. "Robots at pos-1. Make that active.

Go down your browser to your robots and right Click one of the robots contraints that you want to show and select override. Enable the Constraint.

Do the same for all the contraints that you want for that main Position Rep.

After that go badck to the main assembly and switch back to the master position Rep and SAVE.

Now Make a New Position Rep for your Next robot position you want to show. Repeat 

Renaming this constraints will help so much a figuring out what to turn on and off.

I hope this helps.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 9 of 9
salariua

All the above is correct and I would advice you to change the positional representations with excel. Have made an example that I am driving with excel and you can change position of all arms at once in excel.

I've used this to show position of an arm placing slabs on London Underground tunnel.

622.gif

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report