Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorporate MDT import within Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
frank
316 Views, 4 Replies

Incorporate MDT import within Inventor

How does one import MDT 2009 files into Inventor 2014. Is it possible to import just single parts instead of the entire file.  (the engineer creates parts both in the master file and individually.  very confusing for me)

I do have MDT 2009, Inventor 2012 standard and Inventor 2014 pro installed on my machine. 

Thanks,

Frank

Intel Core I7-6700k @4.0ghz
16 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (2gb graphics memory)
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Inventor
INVENTOR HSM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: frank

Open MDT but don't open a file
In IV open the mdt dwg using the import option
Should work.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
frank
in reply to: rdyson

I attempted to do this several times.  On the second screen, where it should show the paperspace drawings, it is just blank.  Then I continue and some of the times it does not import the entire 3d part properly

will this allow me to import a single part, or is it gonna be all the parts in the file. 

Intel Core I7-6700k @4.0ghz
16 GB memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (2gb graphics memory)
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Inventor
INVENTOR HSM
Message 4 of 5
CESAR200

Hello Frank,

If Inventor is not importing all the parts in the .dwg, ensure all the parts have been created with Mechanical Desktop tools and have not been exploded into AutoCAD basic solids.  If you are importing the .dwg as a "Mechanical Desktop File", AutoCAD solids will be ignored.  Also ensure to migrate your file to Mechanical Desktop 2009 file format before importing into Inventor.

When importing the .dwg file, in the third window (Mechanical Desktop Import Destination Options) choose the option 'All component definitions' under 'Assembly Options' to ensure the operation will include all components in the file.

Inventor creates a translation log file with the same name of your .dwg but with an .xml extension.  Open it to check if translation of a specific part or any of its properties was successful after the operation is finished.

Also read this topic in Autodesk Inventor's online help, which talks about the import operation and discusses which data cannot be imported:

Translate Mechanical Desktop models to Autodesk Inventor data
   http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-18277840-BB1F-467A-83E3-66EFFDE4FDB2

Inventor will save the imported part and assembly files in a folder named "Imported Components".  An individual file will be created for each Mechanical Desktop part and an assembly file will also be created.  You can use the individual part files in other assemblies if you need to.

If there is a specific part in a Mechanical Desktop assembly that you need to import individually, you can open the file in Mechanical Desktop and use the AMCATALOG command, then right click the desired component and 'Externalize' the part, which will save it as an individual .dwg file.  You can afterwards import that individual part into Inventor if that is what you need.

I hope this helps.  Mechanical Desktop is no longer a supported product but you may be able to get more help from other users in this forum if you post the file you want to import and describe the result you are expecting.

Regards,

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
CESAR200

This technical article may also provide some useful information:

Using Mechanical Desktop files in Autodesk Inventor
   http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS22419846

Cesar Valencia
Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report