Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inch Symbol (") in Inventor Dimensions?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
mfisher77
7345 Views, 24 Replies

Inch Symbol (") in Inventor Dimensions?

I currently do this with a suffix to the dimension. That works well enough usually. The issue I am having now is with a dimension that displays alternate units. The alternate unit is wider than the regular dimension which causes the symbol (") to be spaced off the regular dimension. I wish I could just display the unit string, but for some reason the unit string for inch is (in) in Inventor. I would like to change this so the unit string would be (") instead of (in).

Thanks,
Matt

Inventor 2009 Edited by: mfisher77@gmail.com on Aug 21, 2009 6:47 AM
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
thedelee
in reply to: mfisher77

I am having the exact same issue, any idea how to chanethe unit string display yet tto " instead of the (in). in is lame.....

Message 3 of 25
BMiller63
in reply to: thedelee

not stating what version of Inventor you are using is "lame" also. Smiley Happy

I think Inventor 2011, has some added options concerning this, but I may be mistaken.

Message 4 of 25
thedelee
in reply to: BMiller63

2010 THANKS

Message 5 of 25
thedelee

GREAT,' MAY BE MISTAKEN", BASICALLY IS THE SAME AS NOT KNOWING, SO MORE OR LESS JUST GIVING MY ADJECTIVE A HARD TIME, HARDLY A WORTHWHILE RESPONSE. SEEMS THAT'S ALL YOU GET HERE, NO REAL HELP. SEEMS LIKE UNIT STRING SHOULD BE AN EASY THING TO CHANGE! JUST SAYING.

Message 6 of 25
BMiller63

ease up on the CAPS, we're all friends here.

I'm on 2010 right now as well, but from what I recall of 2011there were improvments made concerning this, but I'm only going from memory. From that you should be able to deduce that it is not available in 2010, and therefore you would not need to look futher in 2010. My intent was only to help you out, point you in the right direction.

Look up the 2011 What's New document and find out yourself, or be patient and someone who is currently running 2011 can confirm this one way or another. Or display a poor attitude and most likely everyone will ignore your post and let you figure it out yourself.

Message 7 of 25
thedelee

1. Point taken
Message 8 of 25
patrick.miller

I can confirm that it works as desired in 2011.

I modified the "Architectural (ANSI)" style to include Alternate Units for this test. I believe the quote mark is triggered by the Units set to ft and the Format set  to Fraction not stacked so you do not have to use a suffix. I do not have 2010 installed to test and do not recall from memory which release introduced this functionality.

Hope this helps.

237i51236A00C337BE3F

235i123213AEDAB19120

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 9 of 25
thedelee

I know that it's probably kinda too little info too late, I apologize for that, but I need decimla at .oooo (4) place precision as well. Ugh. Just seems like the unit string in should be something that you can change to " or so on if desired. I have no problem  with the fractions, but our company uses decimal for our detail, machining, and sheet metal drawings. My layouts that go to our customer, becuase the can be 300' or so, those we use fractional, this information may prove useful for me on those. So thanks either way. More help still NEEDED..

Thad

Message 10 of 25
mfisher77

Patrick,

Architectural has displayed this way since at least 2009. The problem with using architectural is when displaying a dimension greater than 12", but less than say 48". I don't want to have a dimension read 1'-4 1/4", I want the dimension to read 16 1/4". I typically switch to architectural on anything over 4'.

Thanks,

Matt Fisher

Inventor 2010

Message 11 of 25
iamerm

Do I understand this correctly:  if I set my dimension style to Architectural (ANSI), & then I change the linear units to "in" (NOT "ft"), then Inventor will not display the inch symbol (").  Evidently, the only way to have an inch symbol displayed under those circumstances is to add it with a suffix.

Did I get that right?

I'm using Inventor 2011.

Message 12 of 25
thedelee
in reply to: iamerm

Message 13 of 25
iamerm

Eh?

Message 14 of 25
thedelee

I said yes, for some reason my reply is not working.
Message 15 of 25
iamerm

Thanks for getting back to me.  It would be nice if there was a simple option to turn the inch symbol on or off, regardless of the units.

Message 16 of 25
SHamrick

Is this still the case in Inventor 2016?

I can't figure out to change in to " 

real frustrating! 

Message 17 of 25
mfisher77
in reply to: SHamrick

The unit string is still "in"...

I am still adding " as a suffix in my dimension style in Inventor 2015.

Matt

Message 18 of 25
iMaJiNe_Designs

I'm using Inventor 2018 and this annoying 'feature' is still present.  Try setting your suffix to " and see what happens with angular dimensions!

45°" is a whole new angular dimensioning format to me.

Message 19 of 25
SBix26
in reply to: iMaJiNe_Designs

You would need to use a different style for angular dimensions.  Annoying, but not insurmountable.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.1.2
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 20 of 25
cbenner
in reply to: iMaJiNe_Designs

This has been true through the entire history of Inventor.  Luckily, creating and editing styles in Inventor is not tough.  I do the same thing.  I have a 2 place with the " mark, 3 place.. and then one without the " for angular dims.

Dual dimensions are a different animal altogether and for those, to make it look halfway decent, I surrendered and started using the default "in" suffix.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report