Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In an assembly is it possible to remove the asm and just have part files?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
319 Views, 6 Replies

In an assembly is it possible to remove the asm and just have part files?

I start a new assembly, name it 2600-KPL and I add three other assemblies to it. It looks like this in the tree:

2600 - KPL.iam

- BU200.iam

- BU0034.iam

- BU0202.iam

In the files starting B there are several part files. I would like to make it that the file name 2600 - KPL only contains the part files of the respective 3 assemblies and not just those three files. 

So instead of having just three files I would have something like 25 part files. I hope you understood what I meant by that? Is that possible or do I have to make a completely different assembly?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Would you like to retain the "B" assemblies for use in another product?

Personally choice #1 is probably the best solution. 

You have 2 options.

#1-Set all the "B" assemblies in that 2600-KPL assembly as "phantom". That will push all the parts up into the upper level parts list.

#2-"demote" the subassemblies which will remove the subassembly completely and leave you with just the parts.

Nice thing about the phantom is that you can keep the parts in a sub for ease of reuse and more than likely if you have an ERP system it will support phantom subassemblies just like Inventor does. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I don't want to sound like an idiot here but I'm trying to make it Phantom but it doesn't work.
I go into Tools/Document Setting/BOM and choose Phantom. But is that wrong? Nothing happens.
Message 4 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't want to sound like an idiot here but I'm trying to make it Phantom but it doesn't work.
I go into Tools/Document Setting/BOM and choose Phantom. But is that wrong? Nothing happens.

You did that in the "B" subassembly files right? If so.... Now create a drawing of the 2600kpl assembly, place a parts list and you will see the difference. (all the parts in the b subs will show up now versus the B subassembly part numbers.

FYI.. doing what you did makes the "B" subassemblies ALWAYS non-stocking subassemblies and their components will always be pushed into the upper level parts list..

If thats what you want then good..

If you just want those parts in the "B" subs to be in just the 2600kpl sub but remain subassemblies in all other upper level assemblies then you want to "demote" in the 2600kpl assembly only. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Ah ok. Now I get it. Thanks!

However I didn't just want that in the drawing. I wanted that in the actual assembly file as well. So instead of the 3 assemlies I'll just have a tree with 25 part files.
Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
Ah ok. Now I get it. Thanks!

However I didn't just want that in the drawing. I wanted that in the actual assembly file as well. So instead of the 3 assemlies I'll just have a tree with 25 part files.

Then as I said above.. "demote"..

Right click on the sub...component flyouy.. demote button

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

There we go. Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report