Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing STEP file

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
rh8mpo
1361 Views, 20 Replies

Importing STEP file

When I import a large STEP file into Inventor 2011 it generates a multi-bodied part file. Initial the parts are imported as individual bodies, but it appears that once a certain limit is reached the remaining parts are grouped together in a another multi-bodied part file called 'SR'. Within this 'SR' file the parts are given a 'base' id with a sequential number.

The 'SR' file is difficult to edit, is there a setting that will allow all of the parts to be imported individually into the initial part file?

Tags (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
yannicknielsen
in reply to: rh8mpo

Can you attach the file with the problems?

I'll attach a picture of my settings - Those usually work!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 3 of 21
rh8mpo
in reply to: yannicknielsen

Unfortunately the files are too large to post

Message 4 of 21
yannicknielsen

Fair enough.

If you get a multibody solid, you can always press "Manage" -> "Make Components"

Makes a new assembly for you where the solids are individual parts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 21
JDMather

@rh8mpo wrote:

Unfortunately the files are too large to post

Upload to Autodesk 360 and then supply url to download here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 21
rh8mpo

Thank-you for the suggestion.

I tried the  'Make Components' command (default settings) - but not all of the parts were generated in the new assembly file.

Message 7 of 21
yannicknielsen

Did you make sure to select all the solids?

And if you could upload it to Autodesk 360 instead, as JDMather said, it would be easier to help you 🙂

Message 8 of 21
rh8mpo
in reply to: JDMather

I've uploaded a zip file containing the STEP file, the initial assembly file and the SR file:

http://a360.co/1pcnnT9

However, I could not add the individual parts to the zip file because of name issues (it would take me too long to rename them all). An example of a part file is here:

http://a360.co/1kbHkuB

Please let me know if you require any further details.

Message 9 of 21
yannicknielsen

It appears that I've gotten all the solid bodies out of the file.

A lot of them appear to be the same, but have different naming.

My experience with step files tell me that it is the original creator who failed to reuse parts (although, that may not be correct?)

I now have one assembly containing 795 files.

1 multi solid body

114 files with proper names

680 with other names

I didn't seem to have any problems getting any files out of this - I'll upload the step file I created to test (yes, it did work properly for me) - see if that works for you.

http://a360.co/UsqTgZ

I made a step file because I'm using inventor 2015, and you're using inventor 2011 - You wouldn't be able to open it otherwise

Message 10 of 21
rh8mpo

I've been able to successfully open your STEP file with all of the individual parts within the assembly. I've noted that it's the same 680 'other name' parts that are put together on the single 'SR' part when I import the original STEP file.

I generated the original STEP file from a 3D dwg (I wasn't able to import the dwg directly - I believe this is because it contains some surfaces). Exporting STEP from Mechanical 2011 doesn't provide the option the re-use parts.

So, how were you able to import the original STEP file with all of the individual parts in the assembly? Is it down to the version of Inventor, or some import setting?

Message 11 of 21
JDMather

@rh8mpo wrote:

I generated the original STEP file from a 3D dwg ....

Can you upoad the original dwg file to Autodesk 360?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 21
rh8mpo
in reply to: JDMather

I've uploaded a cut-down version of the original dwg file:

http://a360.co/WD0RJS

I believe the surface elements are part of the wall.

Please let me know if you would like any further details.

Message 13 of 21
JDMather

Depending on what you need this model for -

if it were me, I would probably spend a day eliminating duplicate bodies by patterning components in assembly.

Message 14 of 21
yannicknielsen

I opened the step file and got an assembly with that multibody part in it. I then made components from that part.

so I got the same result as you, except I got a better result with "Make Components"

I believe these multi-body solids are caused by blocks within blocks in the AutoCAD environment. I'm no autoCAD expert, so I don't know if that is the case.

The naming is because whoever made that file didn't make proper naming.

Message 15 of 21
rh8mpo

The 'Make Components' is a good work-around, I was hoping there might be a way to avoid this extra step - but it seems that the root of the problem is the original 3D dwg file.

Many Thanks

Message 16 of 21
yannicknielsen

I don't think you can, and I honestly believe it is because of the original 3D DWG file - Not because inventor fails to open.

In my company we've experienced similar with another project where the parts / assemblies in question contained 20-40 parts - Nothing like the 700 in your project.

I was hoping to test a little more with the original 3D DWG file, but I seem to be unable to find the export settings in AutoCAD Mechanical 2015. If anyone can tell me where I might find them, since ther eisn't an "options" button in the save dialog, I would be grateful.

Message 17 of 21
WHolzwarth

Here's my first result after some sub-assys. The next step would be creating arrays in each sub for identical parts.

Building with sub-assys.jpg

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
rh8mpo
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

Thank-you for your post - please could you describe the steps you have taken to reach this point?

Message 19 of 21
WHolzwarth

I've done similar tasks in the past. See screenshot for an import of an IFC file, later added substitute parts for outside facade elements.

1324006_Bild 87.jpg

There, too, lots of identical parts were imported with different file names. No good startup for further work, part grouping was needed, same as here in your case.

What did I do? I hope to remember right, because I don't want to do that a 2nd time. Waiting time is remarkable.

- Import of Original-3D.dwg into Inventor. In the end, there are 1865 part files.

- Some walls were imported only as a Composite. Translation to solids by use of construction environment is possible, but some experience with similar tasks is needed.

- After that I made sub-assys by selecting appropriate regions of the building

- Then I created wall assys in each of these sub-assys and colored them with Beige, for better overview

- And now, the most time consuming task needs to be done. Creating arrays of identical parts, and deleting the garbage.

In the end, perhaps you can finish with about 500 individual parts, instead of 1865. But I think, it's worth the effort.

So far from my side. If further assistance is needed, your boss should be involved.

My E-Mail: wh@holzwarth-cad.de

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
rh8mpo

Walter,

Thank-you for outlining the steps you used.

I have the file in a useable state now, but it took me about 3 days. However, if I have to go through the process again, I can then use these better work-flows.

Many Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report