Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing SLDPRT file to Inventor 2014 .ipt file

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
SPR_BrandonRoss
3801 Views, 10 Replies

Importing SLDPRT file to Inventor 2014 .ipt file

I am currently having issues opening SLDPRT files in Inventor 2014. This is the format which our customer sends their work, and we export the SLDPRT file to a wireframe iges through Inventor. We have not had any problems until we had to update our Solidworks E-reader to the latest version in order to view the new models, however, now we can not open up these new files in Inventor, and I am transferred to an HTML document reporting an ERROR. Could this be due to Inventor having an earlier service pack which can not currently read the updated solidworks files? I have followed the Autodesk Help instructions for importing solidworks files and changed my options as instructed, yet still get directed to an HTML document. Unfortunately, I do not have permission to attach the desired files, but any new information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: SPR_BrandonRoss

1. You have not stated the SolidWorks version.

2. "we export the SLDPRT file to a wireframe iges through Inventor" I have no clue why you would export as IGES wireframe - please explain the logic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

@SPR_BrandonRoss wrote:

.... we had to update our Solidworks E-reader to the latest version in order to view the new models, ...

Are the new models SolidWorks 2014?

More information is needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 11
SPR_BrandonRoss
in reply to: JDMather

To our understanding, the new models from our customer have been created on Solidworks 2014. Which is why we had to update our E-reader to 2014, as the previous E-reader version could not read the files either.

We need to use the wireframe iges because several machine operators still utilize BOBCAD v.17, and we need to import the part geometries there.

I apologize for the lack of more information, but I am only relaying as much as we know to this point. Please let me know what else I can do to help. 

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

@SPR_BrandonRoss wrote:

To our understanding, the new models from our customer have been created on Solidworks 2014. Which is why we had to update our E-reader to 2014, as the previous E-reader version could not read the files either. 

SolidWorks 2014 did not exist when Inventor 2014 was released - therefore Inventor 2014 will not read SolidWorks 2014 files.

Ask the source to send you STEP or Parasolid files from SolidWorks rather than *.sldprt files.

Message 6 of 11
SPR_BrandonRoss
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, we had come to the conclusion that Inventor needs an update as well, since the last SP was in september, but didnt know if any alternative methods existed. We were also trying to avoid complicating the process from the source having to send files in multiple formats. However, that does not seem to be viable at this time. Thank you for your time. 

Message 7 of 11
rdyson

What formats will your E-Reader save as?

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 11
SPR_BrandonRoss
in reply to: rdyson

.eprt

.zip

.exe

.htm

.stl

.bmp

.tif

.jpg

.png

.gif

These allow the part to be viewed in inventor, however, it simply creates a "dumby" part that can not be edited, or have geometries exported to our needs. At least to our knowledge.

Message 9 of 11
rdyson

So, you're opening the stl in Inventor?

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 11
SPR_BrandonRoss
in reply to: rdyson

It can open it to view only. But the stl isn't a compatible format with Inventor (as it is mainly used by 3d printing software).

Message 11 of 11
rdyson

That's why I asked.
So how are you using E-Reader to do the conversion?
Okay, re-reading your second post it appears you are just using it as a viewer.
You will have to ask for a step, parasolid or sat or wait for IV 2015 to ship.
Or maybe get a demo of SWorks or buy a seat.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report