Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Points

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sam_melvin
2965 Views, 7 Replies

Importing Points

Im trying to make a wing by importing the cross section coordinates into a 2D sketch.

I was originally importing spreadsheets made in open office but saved as .xlsx and .xls, but have since attempted it with .xls files created in excel.

Once I select a file to import and press OK, the pop-up window closes and then nothing happens. I have tried this numerous times with numerous different files, and with each type of import (point, line, splice).

The spreadsheets are properly formatted (see attached) and I have tried removing the scale and the x y z column titles, and I still got nothing.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: sam_melvin

What version of Inventor? 2010? 2011? 2012?  Have you installed all Service Packs for your version?

Attach you xls file here to see if it works for others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
sam_melvin

Im using AutoDesk Inventor Professional 2012, and I have installed service pack 1.

I've attached my xls file.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

I verified that the xls works fine on my machine - so now we need to figure out what is different on your machine.

points.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
sam_melvin
in reply to: JDMather

Thats the same screen that I have, minus the drawing.

I have the free version for students but I dont think that should make a difference. Is there anything you need to do to prepare the sketch before you start importing points?

I have followed this tutorial to the letter, but it doesn't solve my problem. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8324557&linkID=9242018 

The most annoying thing is that the window to choose the file just closes when I press 'open' and no error message appears. 

before

after

I've just noticed that it has the option to 'Repeat Import Points', but when I undo, It closes the part like it would normally with a part that had nothing in it.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@sam_melvin wrote:

I have the free version for students but I dont think that should make a difference.

I am using the student version - it is fully functional.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
firstpartsllc

Your problem could be that Inventor needs to have excel installed to import the data. I had a similar but more severe problem with ProE. It would not even run without excel installed. good luck.

Message 8 of 8
jellef1

I am experiencing the same problem. I fixed it by having one of my friends sending an .ipt with the points already imported. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report