Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Models into Inventor 2014 appearance override

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
RobJV
824 Views, 17 Replies

Importing Models into Inventor 2014 appearance override

This has been driving me crazy for quite some time.  Every time I import an object into 2014, the parts all have an appearance override (in my case a mesh).  I then have to select every part individually (can sometimes be many many parts) and clear the override.  Where does inventor grab this over ride from?  I went into my templates and they are fine - whenever I create a new part I do not get the over ride.

Rob

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: RobJV

For some reason I want to say that its the standard.ipt template that ships with Inventor thats causing that.. I assume you have your own templates and those might be fine but I want to say it uses the default template during imports. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 18
RobJV
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have tried looking in the English folder as well and do not see anything with appearance over rides.  Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 18
bob_holland

RobJV,

Can you provide me with a small test example and result files?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 5 of 18
RobJV
in reply to: bob_holland

I will send you an email directly.  You may also want to try placing appearance over rides on the individual parts.  Whenever I do it (with imported files especially), nothing changes in the ipt, only in the idw.

Message 6 of 18
bob_holland

RobJV,

Can you send me the source file that you used to import.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 18
bob_holland

RobJV,

Can you please try using the Inventor™ Reset Utility:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

I saw your problem until I ran the reset utility.

Please test this and let me know.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 8 of 18
RobJV

1. Tried it but still everything is being imported with all surface faces having a mesh "over-ride".
  2. Applying appearance over rides at the assembly level to the individual parts results in no change on screen, only in idw.
Message 9 of 18
bob_holland

RobJV,

Please try using the attached IGES options and send me an update.

I will private message you my results.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 18
RobJV

Hi Bob,

Thanks for those IGES options - I now know what to do in the future to get solids from IGES files. 

My main problem though is the mesh appearance override.  I still have to go through all the individual parts and clear all the overrides that are applied to all the faces.  Any idea where this override is coming from when importing parts?

Message 11 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Rob,

The behavior sounds that the system template Import process is based off has a Default appearance containing the mesh. Are you using Style Library? If yes, could you try the followings?

1) Start a new part. Go to Manage -> Styles -> Update. Do you see any style listed in the dialog?

2) Open any imported part with mesh appearance. Go to Appearance Browser. Is the mesh appearance the Default appearance?

3) Try resetting template files. Make sure you back you your \Templates\ folder first. Go to Tools -> Application Options -> File -> Configure Template Files. After that, start up a new part and go to Styles -> Save. Is there any style listed there? If yes, click Yes to all to override the styles in the library.

Please let me know what you find out.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 18
RobJV
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes, I am using styles library.  

1. No, nothing appears in appearance tab (unless I compare against AUTODESK appearance library). 

2. Mesh appearance is not the default.  (If I select a face, it usually has a number associated with it : ie. 240, 172, 306  which happens to be a mesh.)

3. Yes, I have wiped my default template files and am using new templates.

Thanks for the tips but these are all things I have tried - that is why it is so puzzling - any other ideas?

I have attached an imported part screenshot showing you that the material and appearance show generic and default but the individual faces are "painted" with a mesh and I can then use the clear button to apply to all faces to remove the mesh facial over ride.

Message 13 of 18
djreesing

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. This problem started showing in Inventor 2013 (with the new material and appearance library). But it still is a problem in Inventor 2015. I haven't tested 2014 (we skipped this version), but I bet the problem would also show there.

In my style library I have the generic material and default appearance defined correctly. But for some reason imported parts get a custom appearance override (163,163,175) with an image overlay (knurl4.bmp). I tested this with the default style library and then the appearence color override is also there (163,163,175) however there is no image overlay. This is already better, but still not perfect since I just want it to use the default appearance of the material. And also I have no idea what the problem is in my style library that causes this strange behaviour and how I can fix it.

Best regards, Daniël

Message 14 of 18
RobJV
in reply to: djreesing

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone with this issue.  For what it is worth, I had an Autodesk employee log onto my system and he could not figure out the problem either.  I will be installing 2015 on a new computer so I am hoping the problem does not continue.  I have to export some sheet metal styles etc. so I am hoping they do not bring the problem along.

Out of curiosity, did you have a knurl exist in any of your sheetmetal styles?

Rob

Message 15 of 18
djreesing

Yes, I have the knurl image present in one of my custom materials.

In another post I got a response from a guy who fixed the issue by deleting and recreating the generic material. I haven't tested this yet, but I hope this fixes the problem.

See this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/step-file-import-appearance-inventor-2015-...

Message 16 of 18
RobJV
in reply to: djreesing

Hi,

Just installed 2015 Pro on a brand new computer and the same problem exists except it is using deckplate instead of mesh.  I know this problem has something to do with the sheet metal styles because that is the only file that I have brought in from the old computer.  (Even though these imported parts have nothing to do with sheet metal.)

It is frustrating - hopefully autodesk can provide a fix for this.

Rob

Message 17 of 18
RobJV

As I said before, brand new computer and new install of 2015.  Instead of the mesh, everything gets the deckplate appearance override.  I need this fixed please.  I did bring in my sheet metal styles from old computer.  I believe this is somehow corrupting things as it has done for a few others.  I do not want to go through my latest imported assembly and clear the override to over 100 individual parts.  There has to be a better way!  Autodesk?

Message 18 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Rob,

Could you send me the example exhibiting the behavior? I would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report