Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing autocadd 3d dwg into inventor

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
RoyBoe
1176 Views, 9 Replies

importing autocadd 3d dwg into inventor

I am trying to figure out how to import 3d acad information into inventor. I am able to import the drawing into inventor in a three d sketch but all circular/arc type information appears to get corrupted. Its like it is layed over on its side from where it originally was in autocadd. I have tried several different ways of importing the information.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: RoyBoe

Attach the original dwg here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
RoyBoe

I have attached the autocadd drawing that is in question.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

In AutCAD do a zoom all.

What happens?

I seem to detect some floaters that I suspect aren't part of what you are after in Inventor.

Let's try a couple of things.

Save a copy of the dwg file.

Delete anything you don't want to get from AutoCAD into Inventor.

Purge all extraneous layers.

Move the geometry that you do want to get from AutoCAD into Inventor closer to the origin.

Zoom all to verify that all "floaters" gone.

Attach the new dwg file here (if it still doesn't import into Inventor correctly for you).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
RoyBoe

OK I tried what you suggested and it still is not working. I am attaching the new autocadd drawing and the inventor ipt that I have inseted it into so you can see exactly what it is doing. Thanks for taking a look at this, I have been trying to figure this out for some time now.

Thanks

Roy

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Yikes, my import doesn't look anything like yours.

With the Options dialog box open hit Alt Print Screen and the Ctrl Paste the image into MS Paint and attach here.

This is what I get

Import.PNG

Message 7 of 10
RoyBoe

I have included all three pages that I encounter when using the import option.

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

screen shot 3 - try turning off Apply geometry constraints. (leave on coincident constraints)

Message 9 of 10
RoyBoe

That did not make any differance. I had one of my co-workers try to import it also to see if my copy of Inventor might have a problem and he had the same results that I did. I am thinking that there might be a application setting or installation setting that might be causing the problem. I am running Inventor 2011. Another thing I am going to try is convert the Autocadd file to a dxf and see if that works. I am encouraged to see that you got it to work correctly, that gives me hope. Sooner or later I will figure it out. If you have any other ideas im all ears.

Thanks

Roy

Message 10 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi RoyBoe,

What if you specified a different part template (screen shot 3), just as a test?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report