Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing and modifying .dwg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BarryZA
275 Views, 5 Replies

Importing and modifying .dwg

I am trying to do a "quick and dirty" stopgap.

I am in the process of repairing and assembling the various systems for a luxury yacht - electrical, mechanical etc. The ultimate goal is to get a full 3D layout of parts and assemblies, then using tube and pipe and cable and harness to run conduits, aircon ducts, fuel lines....

All I have to go on are .dwgs

In the meantime I need to submit a modified .dwg to the engineers overseas to get the O.K. on swapping the order of certain components. All I need to do is change the labels text on the layout, nothing else.

I have imported the .dwg into an Inventor sketch and edited the text.

Now I am stuck. Placing the view into a new drawing shows nothing.

RMB export sketch as .dwg works, but not a single line of text shows, only the layout.

I am afraid I can't attach the original file.

Any solutions up to and including Photoshop will be welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: BarryZA

Barry,

Is not doing this in Autocad an option?

If all you have to do is text edit I that is what I would do.

That way you don't have to wrestle with teh Inventor conversion.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
BarryZA
in reply to: Cadmanto

Downloading an Autocad trial did cross my mind.

Message 4 of 6
Cadmanto

Barry,

I don't know what kind of software package you have.  We have the suite so Autocad comes with it.

Might want to think about it.  I think it would not only save you some time in the long run, but some headaches as well.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 6
BarryZA
in reply to: Cadmanto

I found a free CAD program from (ahem) a different company. The program is called DraftSight and it works perfectly for my needs.

Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto

Barry,

You can say it.  It's ok.  Smiley Wink

I have used Draftsight before.  Nice program.  In a lot of ways it mimics ACAD.

It was their replacement for Solidworks 2D cad package about 5 years ago.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report