Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Importing ACAD sketches into Inventor 2012

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
john
2020 Views, 25 Replies

Importing ACAD sketches into Inventor 2012

I am having difficulty importing ACAD sketches into Inventor 2012. I tried the import command at file open, the import command within a sketch, and just copying and pasting from ACAD 2012 and the lines are condensed into a single point. Is this a graphics card issue? I did not have this problem on 2010 (I am using 2010 temporarily for importing as a workaround).

Robot Sad

***************graphics info**************************

This Direct3D graphics driver is Microsoft WHQL certified
Graphics Hardware Description:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

AIRViz Device Manager \ VirtualDeviceDx11
Feature Level 4_1
Performance Mode
Hardware Renderer

Graphics driver file nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um is version 8.17.12.8562
Current optimization settings are not known
The display is using 32-bit color

Inventor Version:

Build: 190, Release: 2012 SP1 - Date: Mon 08/08/2011       
64-Bit Edition - 8192.00 GB

Loaded Inventor Add-Ins:

Inventor Fusion Change Manager
Fusion Freeform Edit Launcher
Inventor Studio
Design Accelerator
Frame Generator
BIM Exchange
Drag & Drop Interoperability

System Information:

Operating System:         64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  (Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language:             English
System Manufacturer:         empty
System Model:             empty
BIOS:                 BIOS Date: 12/29/06 13:54:57 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor:             Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2220 (2 processors, 4 cores)
System Memory:             15.999 GB RAM

Graphics Device Information:

Renderer:             HAL
Manufacturer:             NVIDIA
Chip Type:             GeForce 8800 GTX
DAC Type:             Integrated RAMDAC
Graphics HW Memory:         768 MB
Display Mode:             1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

Graphics driver file:         nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver file version:         8.17.12.8562
Driver Date:             15 October 2011 0:00:00 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
JDMather
in reply to: john

Attach a sample dwg file here.
What options do you have set on Import?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
john
in reply to: JDMather

Here are screen shots of the import settings:

import1.jpgimport2.jpgimport3.jpgimport4.jpg

Message 4 of 26
JDMather

Well, I just verified that I can in fact Import your dwg sketch, so now how to find the problem on your machine?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 26
rdyson

One possibility:

Make sure that template files "standard.idw" actually exists or change the destination template to one that you use

Shooting in the dark!

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 26
john
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks rdyson. I double checked and it looks like my files were embedded in the bowels of "My Documents". I reinstalled Inventor so the files were in the correct location. However, I still have the same problem with importing.

Message 7 of 26
emily.xu

I can also import the .dwg file perfectly.Maybe something wrong with your profile or program.Would you please try to use another user to login your machine and test then?

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 8 of 26
john
in reply to: emily.xu

I logged in as a new user, but still the same result.

Message 9 of 26
drlamb

Have you tried a zoom all after you import? Mine usually tends to be way off of the origin when imported.

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 10 of 26
drlamb
in reply to: drlamb

Also if you leave it set to mm instead of detected units it is going to be really small. A little over an eighth of an inch

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 11 of 26
emily.xu

You mentioned Inventor had been reinstalled, did you do a clean removal Inv 2012 before reinstallation?If not, I would suggest you to do a clean removal, please following this solution for the steps:http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17274201&linkID=9242018

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 12 of 26
neil.liu

Can you please check if C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Compatibility\Bin\DBXBridge.exe exist on your computer? If does not, you need to reinstall Inventor. BTW, please turn off your anti-virus software when you install Inventor.

Message 13 of 26
emily.xu

John,I just want to know if our solutions resolve your problem? Or do you still need help?

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 14 of 26
emily.xu

Sorry for the issue still there, and I would like try to solve your problem here for others with the same problem will get help also.

Generally,when we import dwg file into Inventor will need DWG TrueView, so we need to check if there is something wrong with it.Since you installed Inventor 2012, could you please try to uninstall DWG TrueView 2012 (and prior version),then go to:http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=9078813, download DWG TrueView 2012 and reinstall it.

Hope helps!

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 15 of 26
john

Thank you for your help. Here is what I did:

1. Clean manual uninstall. I removed all Autoidesk programs and folders remianing on my C:/ drive. I also removed the Autodesk "16" registry file. I did not remove any registry files with "14.0" on them.

2. Reinstalled all 2012 components.

3. Per your suggestion, I checked and found the DWG TrueView was not installed. I downloaded this and instaled it....

Unfortunanetly, I cannot import AutoCAD into Inventor. If I try to copy and paste AUtoCAD content into Inventor, then Inventor crashes.Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 26
emily.xu

Thanks for the update,but this problem is really strange.Can you copy and paste the dwg content into other applications, such as Word or excel?

BTW, did you get the Customer Error Report(CER) dialog and send it with your email address?

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 17 of 26
john

I can copy & paste to Excel from AutoCAD, but not from Inventor. I have also contacted customer support with my error log and DBXbridge file for analysis. I am still waiting for their feedback.Robot Frustrated

Message 18 of 26
kstate92

Are you up to date on all service packs for both Inv and Acad?  How about (long shot) you graphics driver?  I assume you've tried various autocad drawings to import...

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 19 of 26
emily.xu

How about openning the dwg file directly, not importing?

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 20 of 26
john

I can open the file in inventor, no problem. I just have difficulty transferring that CAD data to an open sketch either through cut & paste or using the ACAD import button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report