Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Acad 3D polylines to ipt 3D sketch

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
samu3
840 Views, 4 Replies

Importing Acad 3D polylines to ipt 3D sketch

Hi all,

I am trying to import Acad 3D polylines to an Inventor ipt 3D sketch via insert -> Acad etc.

Sometimes the segments between vertices come in just fine (see first pic), but other times they are all squiggly (second pic). What could possibly cause this?

The Acad polylines are true 3D lines with varying X, Y and Z. I need to bring the lines to Inventor in order to sweep along them. I am using Autocad and Inventor 2013.

Thanks!

Samu

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: samu3

Attach dwg file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
samu3

I think I may have figured it out. On the left hand sideof the attached pic is the result when I am using the attached dwg file as is. I tried moving the objects close to 0,0,0 and the result is on the right hand side of the - perfect!

Why would this be? I was hoping to be able to use the original coordinate values in order to retain the actual position.

Thanks,

Samu

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

This geometry doesn't make sense to me.
What is your design intent?

I drew an arc overtop one of the splines and it is identical.

Why are you trying import splines?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
samu3

The original 3D polyline geometry was not created by me, but I am trying to use it for sweeping without having to recreate it. It was not created with an Autodesk product.

I will be using one of those 3D polys as a centerline, the other ones are irrelevant. Every vertex on the polyline have diferent XYZ coordinates.

I will also need to somehow break the polyline into separate segments, because I have different profiles that I wil need to either loft or sweep to create a continuous element.

Thanks JD,

Samu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report