Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a component as seperate parts into an assembly.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kpl_39
331 Views, 4 Replies

Importing a component as seperate parts into an assembly.

I want to import a component consisting of about 50 different parts into an assembly that is about 300 different parts.

When I "place as component" into the assembly it imports into the assembly fine as a component.

When I make an exploded view I can split the component into seperate parts but when I make an .idw file the parts list just shows the component as one part number.

I would like to the .idw to show all of the parts that are in the component separately.

Is there some kind of expansion menu or do I have to re-make the component in the assembly file?

Thanks for the help!

-Kyle

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: kpl_39

Welcome to the forum.

I am a bit confused by your wording.

Are you talking about an ipart factory file with 50 different iparts with in the factory

inserted into the assembly with 300 components?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
kpl_39

Some of the parts of the component are just screws or bolts pulled from the content center and other parts of it are custom made (metal plates, cylinders, etc.) All of these parts are put together into one component.

I added this component to an assembly that consisted of basically the same thing (custom parts and content center parts).

If I make an IDW of the whole assembly without the new component every part shows up under the parts list.

If I make an IDW of the whole assembly with the new component, every part shows up + the new component as one part#.

I want to make it so every part shows up on the IDW including the 50 or so parts that are in the new component.

I'm sorry if that didn't answer your question, I just started using Inventor a couple days ago.

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto

If I understand you correctly it looks like you might want to look into the member selection

button when you edit your parts list in your assembly drawing.  What this allows you to do is

select which members from the factory you want displayed.

BOM.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
SBix26

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to set the BOM Attribute of the component (subassembly) to "Phantom".  This means that the parts list treats all of the parts making up that subassembly as if they are at the main level.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report