Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported Stp file for FEA

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dwhamm
1806 Views, 4 Replies

Imported Stp file for FEA

I have been given several drawings to perform FEA analysis.  These files are solidworks files, but my school does not have the FEA package so I had to export the files to a .stp file to import it into Inventor.  

On top of that, the SolidWorks file I need to analyze is an assembly, so I 'saved as' the assembly in Solidworks as a part to have one solid part.

The file seems to import fine at first, I can create sketches onto faces.  But when I go to create an analysis, and try to set a fixed point or force load, I cannot select a face.  I tried to "cheat" and add some material to the faces I wanted to use.  When I run the analysis, it just doesn't recognize the initial material in the 'mesh'.

I CANNOT include full screenshots of the system, due to the nature of the project.  I can show small clipped shots of the software status, but not the drawing itself.  If seeing the "model" box on the left would help, I can supply that with the drawing names blacked out.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: dwhamm

Do not save in SWx as a single part - you want it as an assembly in Inventor.

Most likely your attempt to convert to single part STEP in SWx resulted in a surface body on import into Inventor rather than a solid body.  You can easily check this at the top of the browser or simply try creating a hole feature in the "part".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: dwhamm

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with JD.  You are going to want to save the individual files out of SW as parts.

Then bring those files directly into Inventor and reassemble them (that is if the versions of SW and Inventor are compatible).  Then run your FEA analysis.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 5
dwhamm
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help, I don't have access to the software at my personal PC and have class for the rest of the day.  However, I will check in the next couple days and get back to everyone to let you know how it went.

Thanks again for all of the quick responses. 

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with JD.  You are going to want to save the individual files out of SW as parts.

No, simply save the SWx assembly as a STEP file.
Inventor will automatically create an assembly and the individual parts with the parts in the correct locations in the assembly (minus assembly constraints).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report