Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import STEP, SLDPRT, IGS?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tmiddendorf
486 Views, 6 Replies

Import STEP, SLDPRT, IGS?

Hello All,

Would anyone here know why IV14-SP2 suddenly refuses to import STEP, SLDPRT,  IGS files? IPT, IAM IDW open normally and all other software runs fine. I talked to phone support who  reset some registry defaults but this did not help so they recommended a re-install. I just want to check with the real world before proceeding.

Thanks,

Tom.

Regards,

Tomas

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: tmiddendorf

Did you create a Windows Restore Point after initial install and verification that all was working correctly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Also,

have you recently fooled with the default templates - Inventor references the default templates when translating files.

If it can't find them - the translation fails.

Are you using network location templates?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
jalger

Hi Tmiddendorf,

Do you see similiar issues with exports? It could be the Translators, somehow got corrupted.

You can try the following (it fixes the translators);

1. When this happens, bring up the Command Prompt (CMD) and start it using “Run as Administrator”

(Right Click on the CMD.exe)

2. Next go to the base of the c drive (Use CD..)

3.Then Type in “cd C:\Program files\autodesk\inventor 2014\bin”

4. Then type in “inventor/install”

it reinstalls all the dll files used for Translating, you may have to re-initialize any AutoCAD Verticals (like AutoCAD Mech).

Simply restart AutoCAD and you should be fine.

5. Make sure you wait 1 minute after starting the re-install of the dlls ( I normally wait 2 minutes just to be sure)

I'm not sure what causes the Translators to stop (I suspect windows updates, but I have never been able to confirm it).

(edited because all of my steps changed to 1...)

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 5 of 7
jalger
in reply to: jalger

You could also try the Reset inventor utility (sounds fun, I have never tried it, so I can't say if it works)

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 6 of 7
tmiddendorf
in reply to: jalger

JDMather and jalger:

Thank you for your responses. I did not create a Windows Restore Point and the templates are local. I did not fool with those templates and we've done no recent updates. IV14 has been running fine for 16 months and the only unusual activity I know of is a recently quarantined virus. We ran your fix and the Reset, jalger, but it still won't export. So it looks like all roads point to a clean and re-install. Thanks again for your time.

T.

Regards,

Tomas

Message 7 of 7
jalger

Hi Tmiddendorf,

Sorry to hear that.

You can double check that the Translators are marked as loaded in the add-ins. (maybe the virus disabled them?) 

Not sure what else you can do, But If it was virus related I would suggest re-installing / repairing Windows. (verify windows is ok, then worry about checking the Autodesk Software)

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report