Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Revit (*.RFA) to Inventor 2014

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
9768 Views, 16 Replies

Import Revit (*.RFA) to Inventor 2014

Hi All

We are being pushed from some of our customers to supply BIM files for Revit.

I was told by our software supplier that Inventor 2014 could create Revit files, and it looks as though I can via the BIM Tab on the Ribbon. I havent used Revit or created any BIM content before and I was hoping to open another manufactures file (*.RFA) in Inventor to disect the file and give me an Idea on how to create our own files. I can only find an import option in the OPEN dialog box for a Revit Project File (*.rvt). Is it possable to open/import a RFA files in Inventor 2014?

Cheers

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: Anonymous

no there is not a way to open .rfa files in inventor

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for your time and clarification.

Do you know If we were to use inventor to create files for Revit what format would the be in? Also should we really look at investing in Revit or would Inventor work for our needs?

We are a lighting manufacture, and as I understand it I need to create a 3d Model, 2D sections (Plan, Front & Side) also I need to attach an IES file to the model which at the moment is our stumbling point.

Cheers

Message 4 of 17
DarrenP

from inventor using the BIM exchange you can export to .rfa or a .adsk file format which than can be read by revit

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks for your time.

Message 6 of 17
eucci

Does Autodesk have plans to support workflows between BIM and Inventor or Autocad? Increasingly, I need to convert rfa files for use in Acad or Inventor and there is no good way to do it without buying a Revit license.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: eucci

Any further options on this? I would like to seamlessly go back and forth in Inventor and Revit for scheduling rebar.

Message 8 of 17
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Even if there was a plan in the making..  We the user would not know when that would occur.

Did you ever look in the Inventor Ideastation and see if that has been requested?  I assume it has but do know..

Log an idea on the Inventor Ideastation and have people vote on it.  If you never say anything there and just talk about here, nothing is going to happen...  Smiley Very Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 17
JDMather

@eucci wrote:

...I need to convert rfa files for use in Acad or Inventor and there is no good way to do it without buying a Revit license.

Do you have an rfa file you can attach here for experimentation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 17
eucci
in reply to: JDMather

I figured out a workflow!

I bought a Revit license 😛

Message 11 of 17
JDMather

Just for fun - can you attach a sample file here?

I want to see if I can find a free technique.

Oops, I just realized that this is a 3 yr old thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 17
OliverTilbury
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

Did you ever find a way to import / convert .rfa files into AutoCAD or Inventor?

Just want to open the 3D file within!

Thank you,

Oliver

Message 13 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: OliverTilbury

there isn't a way to open .rfa files in Autocad or Inventor

Inventor can only export .rfa

Autocad you can't import or export .rfa files

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
OliverTilbury

Ok. Great. Thanks for the clarification. 

Message 15 of 17
dusan.naus.trz

Hi,
so i see. it doesn't work in Inventor 2021 either. It doesn't work in Autodesk Viewer either. It doesn't even work in Fusion. That's funny.

Message 16 of 17
Message 17 of 17

Hi -- for what it's worth:

In Inventor 2021, we support import of Revit RVT (project) files.  This allows you to bring in the relevant "building context", e.g., the floors, walls, ceiling, columns, etc., so that your Inventor model can be designed using the locations of all of those building components.  

The import can either be associative (aka "reference") or not (aka "convert" ... creates independent files).

Jon Balgley

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report