Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import iproperties of a part file into an assembly file

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
cadman777
1422 Views, 19 Replies

import iproperties of a part file into an assembly file

Will someone please tell me if I can do this, and how:

I want to import some of the iproperties of one ipt file into an iam file.

If that's possible, I forget how to do it.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Cadmanto
in reply to: cadman777

Chris,

See if this link helps you.

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/how-copy-autodesk-inventor-parameters-between-documents/

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

You can use design assistant to copy iproperties.

Message 4 of 20
cadman777

Thanks Scott, but that's not what I want to do.

I want to take the iProperties, such as the "Part Number", "Description", etc., and link it from an ipt to an iam, or an iam to an ipt, or whatever.

I already know how to use Parameters in other files.

It's the iProperties that I don't know how or can't recall if it's possible to do.

Any other ideas?

Incidentally, I'm running IV2010.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I understand your request correctly, you want to "Derive" iProperties from doc A to doc B, right? Unfortunately, Derive does not support linking iProperties except Parameters (Custom iProperties). But, I think this can be done by using VBA code or iLogic.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 20
Cadmanto

I was going to suggest ilogic, but I see I got beaten to the punch.

I am not an ilogic guru so I can't help you to write it, but when it comes to things of this nature that is the path I have seen several go down.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 20
cadman777

Johnson,

Thanks for responding.

I'm on 2010, and don't have the iLogic module.

Questions:

1. Do you know if iLogic is the same for the 2010 add-in, compared to when it became integrated into the program?

2. Do you know where I can pay a reasonable price for the iLogic module for 2010, w/o Autodesk forcing me to pay their "protection racket fee"?

Thanks ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 20
akosi
in reply to: johnsonshiue

is there a way  i can derive a text parameter?

Message 9 of 20
jddickson

There are a couple third party software companies out there that do exactly what you want. They are pretty cheap and you can try most of them for free for 15 days. Just search for “inventor property manager”. The one thing that inventor needs to add is a property manager. Every other cad software has some type of property manager.  

If you end up getting iLogic I might be able help you with some code that will get you started.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 20
cadman777

I found iProWiz, but they don't suport 2010 Suite, only 2012/13.

Couldn't find anything else.

Any other ideas?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 11 of 20
jddickson

That is the software that we are currently using. Sorry about the advice you use to be able to get version 5 for 2010 and 2011. You might want to e-mail them to see if you can get an older version if you’re really interested.

If you had iLogic this would be a lot easier. There might be a way to use the bill of materials to accomplish what you need. You would have to set up an assembly template with the custom iproperties you want. Make it so the custom iproperties populate the bill of materials (BOM). This way you can drive the iproperties into any of the parts or subassemblies.   

Using an equation in the iproperties can link them to other iproperties.

Example:  

Custom iproperties

Material Spec = (B16.5 A-694-F52)

Item Description = (PIPE .75 X .154 X 10.000)

Extended Item Description = (=<Item Description>, < Material Spec>)

The Answer:   PIPE .75 X .154 X 10.000, B16.5 A-694-F52

I know in iLogic you could just link custom iproperties from parts and assemblies with a simple code like this:

'iProperties.Value("Custom", "Extended Item Description ") = iProperties.Value("File Name", "Custom", " Custom Iproperties Name")

I hope some of that made sense and helps in some kind of way.

Message 12 of 20
akosi
in reply to: jddickson

i have an assembly open,

can i choose a part in an assembly and make it active in ilogic?

and get some iproperties of that part so that i can put it in the open assembly iproperties?

i can get the property of the part but i have to indicate the part name in ilogic...

what i want is to choose a part in an assembly

Message 13 of 20
jddickson
in reply to: akosi

Yes if you want you can make an IF statement and make it do it when you need.

Hope this helps

Component.IsActive("Part1:1")
Message 14 of 20
akosi

what if i dont indicate the part name is it possible?

Message 15 of 20
jddickson
in reply to: akosi

I don’t think I understand what you want.

Do you just want to make the assembly have the same custom properties as the part?

All the information in the properties or just the properties themselves?

Message 16 of 20
cadman777

Thanks JD.

If only I had iLogic!

Adsk refuses to sell the module to me (for IV2010).

They actually want to force me into "Subscription" to get it, which I choose not to buy.

Isn't it a shame when the developers use extortion to get their product onto your desk, leveraging an occasional, recurring need for the price of their world??

Thanks for the great ideas ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 17 of 20
jdavis417

In my not-so-humble opinion, the 2nd reply, from John Retzlaff, was the most-correct answer.

Rt-click the source of your iProperties either from within an Inventor Open Dialog OR from Windows Explorer<< choose Design Assistant << Tools pull-down << Copy Design Properties.  Select the iProperties you want to copy on the left panel and the file(s) you want to copy them to on the right panel..

Perhaps Design Assistant is under documented?  Even Autodesk support personnel don't seem to know what it does!  Man Mad  I'm going to add something else on this subject... the OP plainly states, "I want to import some of the iproperties of one ipt file into an iam file.", yet Autodesk support personnel say something like, "if I understand your request"...!!  This seems to be Standard Procedure 1A with the entire Autodesk support concept.  Pretend you don't understand and ask for more information... not especially specific "more information" (or datasets)... just more.  I'll bet 25% just come up with their own work-around (support seems to think that work-arounds are solutions... and sometimes they are but is anyone fixing the underlying bug?) and drop the request or post.  That's an easy loophole to decrease one's workload and often a huge waste of everyone elses time.  The fact that Autodesk support suggested VBA or iLogic instead ot the built-in application (isn't it????  sorry if it comes from the unsupported SDK files) is very concerning to me.

I've considered if I should "hijack" this thread or not, but I've communicated this and more to many of these people personally and encouraged them to share my comments, suggestions and videos among themselves and to their supervisors.  The fact that Auotdesk support personnel reply to a public forum, in my opinion, leaves them open to public reply, comment and evaluation.  Sound fair?  I think they, as a rule, can and should do better!

We're all in this together,

another JD

Message 18 of 20
cadman777

JD,

I agree.

But how can they get 'motivated' to do the right thing here?

... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 19 of 20
jdavis417

Chris, 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I wish I knew how to fix them (heal thyself, you say?  LOL).  I suppose that we're relegated to "writing our congress-people" or being vocal about any perceived shortcomings we encounter?  Is complaining alot the same as  "activism"? Smiley Tongue

I should admit that I've wasted some of supports time with non-issues and silly mistakes I've made... I can to better, too!  I've declined joining several "advisory boards" lately but I have Continuous Improvement battles to fight on the home-front too!  Support is somewhat at the mercy of the "skill-set of end-user" and the seemingly disintegrating software package.  I'm pretty sure that they're weary of some (many?) issues but know that all they can really do is research, develop and recommend temporary solutions (aka workarounds).  The first, logical step to help them would be to fix the known bugs in the software?

I'm not completely un-appreciative of Autodesk support and would gladly buy them a beer at AU (oh, you say the beer is free @ AU?  Yeah, I'm cheap!)!  In a way, they are being set up to fail... (see rants & user suggestions posts on this site)...   I don't want people to be without jobs (permanently) but the first step is to admit the problem, right?

I suppose that I do have some direct suggestions for Autodesk support:

1. Read and/or watch ALL of what the support request includes.
  2. Don't quickly assume that you're being presented with "the same issue from another time" and give a canned answer.
  3. Stop, Think, Lift... a job done quickly is not especially a job done to the best of you ability.
  4. Give support personnel better access to the actual code-writers... issues that persist multiple years are the bane of us all.
  5. Don't "punish" the support person if they have to ask a programmer, senior support member, manager or long-time Inventor power-user.  Give them all the tools they need to succeed (and help us succeed).
  6. Be willing to say, "I don't know" or "This is a known issue" and give the end-user a chance to explore suggested "solutions" with the knowledge that they're being offered a "finger in the ****" (edit... d,y,k,e is a dirty word? c'mon!).
  7. When Autodesk buys someone else's product and adds it to Inventor, make sure it is integrated to the greatest degree possible, operates in a way consistent with the other commands and procedures are "supported and documented".
  8. Be the expert!  "Know thyself" or "A man's got to know his limitations"?
  9. Fix (or un-fix) the Help system.  When I was Autocad only, I thought Help was great in 2009-10!  What happened?
  10. Pair English-as-a-2nd-language employees with like clients.  When I can't understand what you say or write, you can't be very helpful.
  11. Define your terminology... what EXACTLY does "associative" mean in the context of Design View & Level of Detail Reps (for instance)?  If you can't nail-down your own word-use, it seems like you're trying to pull some wool over some eyes with double-speak.
  12. Be very specific when you need more information.  Asking for my (huge) dataset seldom seems to lead to a solution?  Doing the same thing over-and-over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity (my therapist tells me)...
  13. Do what you say you're going to do.
  14. Stop asking to close support tickets so soon... it sometimes seems like you're looking for an easy-out.

I really don't envy their job-duties... they're often starting out with un-happy, confused and over-worked clients who are at their wits end.  I've tried to remind myself of the fact that they are not in control of the condition of the software package nor how I twist it to my own, evil purposes.  I suspect that I over-weight my issues, since they affect my productivity and workflows.  I simply don't do what most users do (good, bad or indifferent).

Keep Fighting the Good Fight (everybody),

JD the Long-Winded

P.S. I hope Autodesk knows that I just tithed another, non-billable hour to pull this rant together.  I'm willing to make an extreme effort to be helpful but there's only so many times I'll be a "broken record".

Message 20 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: jdavis417

I agree.

Adsk has more interest in 'new and improved' than a solid program.

Anyways, I quit wasting time a long time ago trying to tell them what's wrong w/their program, b/c they don't give a sh*t.

It ain't about 'customer satisfaction', but 'the money involved'.

There's gotta be a balance between the 2, favoring the customers.

Unfortunately, when 'self-interest', 'ego' and 'greed' are involved, 'morality' goes out the door.

Such is modern life in the industrial-military state.

Incidentally, why would anybody want to write the criminals in office (= Congress/Senate), when they're the ones writing the 'laws' that cause all our problems (as-bribed by the corporate interests to 'protect' their 'profits')?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report