Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import IGS and edit features

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
560 Views, 6 Replies

Import IGS and edit features

Hello,

I have been given the task of importing and editing an IGS sheet metal part. I have had a go but cannot get a feature tree (and a search tells me I can't?)

Its a pretty basic sheet metal part just need to add few flanges, change hole/slot size. Its for a college project so I have to do it rather than just redraw the thing. I would also prefer to use inventor than solidworks (if I still have it on my laptop...).

Thanks for your time.

Edit:

Using this video I can get it into a solid part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASq4M1g3Nnk

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

. I have had a go but cannot get a feature tree (and a search tells me I can't?)

You search told you wrong.
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

and you will need the Feature Recognition add-in from the apps store.

A sheet metal part should be pretty easy to get the feature tree.

But I really doubt that you actually need a feature tree.  A base solid (especially a sheet metal part) can easily be edited without a feature tree.

Attach your IGES file here for help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Feature Recognition add-in looks perfect, however it apears to not be avalible for inventor 2012?

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aFeatur...

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

It was available for free back then (2012 released in 2011).

But I don't understand why you would even need Feature Recognition to edit something as simple as a sheet metal part?

If this is school work - then I recommend you download the latest version of Inventor  for free http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

The part is an igs file and once open in inventor has no feature tree, simply "solid" or "base" the holes/slots etc are not recongized as such.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The part is an igs file and once open in inventor has no feature tree, simply "solid" or "base" the holes/slots etc are not recongized as such.

I know what an igs file is. Did you read the paper I linked earlier.

A solid body is perfectly editable.

For thousands and thousands of years (in equivalent computer years, (like dog years)) users edited dumb solids in an ancient program called "AutoCAD" before Inventor existed.  A feature tree is not needed to edit a part.

There are numerous solid editing tools in Inventor (including the simple Move Face).

Perhaps this is your assignment - to figure out how to edit a featureless historyless base (dumb) solid.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I'll have a better read of the paper when home, or Ill download student latest version and use the Feature Recognition.

The actual assingment was suggested to be done in solidworks, but I opted for inventor as I use it at work and figured it would be easier because of the basic knowledge I have of it already. I'll have a play with soildworks as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report