Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import DXF mess!

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
safiredesignengineers
908 Views, 4 Replies

import DXF mess!

Hi Group

I normally have issues importing complex DXF designs into inventor so i don't bother, however when wanting to model something up and display the 3d model to the customer then it would be nice to be able to bring in my dxf data and use it.

See the enclosed DXF, this will need final editing but it is in a state that should cut on a machine in other software, in my cutting software it has 302 entity's ad i made up of lines and arcs that art fully joint as a constant outline in my other software.

however when i import it into inventor i get a few issues:

- i create a new ipt for sheet metal, create a sketch, load Acad file and import the dxf into the sketch, all looks ok.

- the sketch says it needs 1470 dimensions, but i don't need to edit it i am just interested in creating a face on it in sheet metal so it looks like the part i want.

- when i create the face i get errors regarding open loops etc..? i don't get this in my other software??

Can any one advise what i am doing wrong or a better way to do this or if it is not possible for inventor to handle stuff like this?

regards Adrian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Make sure to set to Constrain Endpoints, but NOT to Apply Geometry constraints.

Import Options.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Perfect, Thanks JD

regards Adrian

Message 4 of 5

Another tip - if for some reason you need to move stuff around (maybe multiple disjointed profiles) turn them into Sketch Blocks.  That why you don't have to worry about dimensions or distorting the profile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Thanks JD

this is in connection with the Star project, hopefully the customer will accept and more hopefully i can braise it all together nicely and i will then post some piccies online for you.

regards Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report