Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image tool grayed out in IDW-Bug?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
gcross
6898 Views, 8 Replies

Image tool grayed out in IDW-Bug?

Using Inventor 2012 latest SP

My Image tool icon is grayed out in Insert Panel of the IDW.

I created a sketch in the IDW & have no way to insert a graphic.I checked multiple files including a new file forma template & cannot get the Image icon to work, it's always grayed out.

Is there an option setting I need to change?

We really should have the ability to cut & paste into IDW's.

Gary

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: gcross

Hi gcross,

I think it's always been that way. But you can create a Sketched Symbol and insert an image into it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9

In sketch mode my image button is greyed out.  I can select ACAD or Points.  Why is image greyed out?

Message 4 of 9

Hi nstalker,

You need to create a Sketched Symbol rather than just a sketch, then you can use the image tool.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: nstalker

In drawing you can only put an image in a sketch in a Drawing Resources (Sketch Symbol, Border or Titleblock) sketches.

Image.png

Expand Drawing Resources and Right Click on Sketched Symbol and the select Define New Symbol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

Curtis,

Thanks for your response.  Can you direct me to a tutorial to create a sketched symbol?

Thanks!

Noel

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

Skillbuilders.png

http://download.autodesk.com/us/inventorprofessional/pdf/SketchedSymbols_stacking.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
nstalker
in reply to: JDMather

hmm.  This isn't what I'm trying to do.  Sorry - I wasn't very clear.  I'm trying to make a sticker of something and place it on a part in Inventor.  So I thought I would offset a plane, create a sketch, insert and image and follow the rest of this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lut3qzqbhQU

So ultimately I'm looking to put in a decal on my model, not in the drawing.  I may be in the wrong thread but if you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

In the real world a sticker is a solid physical part with thickness you can hold in your hand.

Therefore model it like a solid - just like any other solid.

In the video they didn't model it like the real world - they simply used a Decal feature directly on the part.

If the part on which it will go is not flat (or some other simple shape like cylindrical) the Derive Component the part that the sticker will go on as a Composite surface to get started.

To make a Decal click here (after getting your image into a part sketch).

Decal.PNG

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report