Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image showing up in model view, not on prints

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
TattooJoe
940 Views, 10 Replies

Image showing up in model view, not on prints

This may be operator error as I'm an old solidworks hand still in his first few months with Inventor but I've been adding graphics to the surface of some of my models, the first time it worked perfectly but the second time I've tried it the image shows up as expected in the model view but when I place a view on a drawing I get the outline and all the part features but no graphics. I have the surface shading option selected in the view placing window, I've done everything as far as I know exactly the same as I have before but still no luck. I tried importing the image I used the first time and that works as well. I'm not sure if its something I'm doing or if the bitmap file I'm getting from my marketing department is somehow different from the one I used the first time. (I did get them from two different people)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Traffic and Parking Control Company
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa
in reply to: TattooJoe

The first time when it worked perfectly, did you click on the Decal button in the model?

Mike

Message 3 of 11
TattooJoe
in reply to: Mike_Maenpaa

No, I'll admit I was kind of fumbling around half way following the online help directions, I just opened a 2d sketch on the surface of the sign blank (we build custom traffic signs etc) and then imported the image and sized it to fit. If there's a better way to do this I'm all ears like I said I'm still pretty new to the platform.

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 4 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

You're halfway there. Constrain your image (you can right click on it to hide it to make it easier to add constraints). You can use geometry constraints or dimensions to constrain it. Note that the aspect ration will remain the same. Finish the Sketch. Hit the Decal button.

R2010 sample attached. Pull the End of Part (EOP) marker down.

MIke

Message 5 of 11
TattooJoe

I just tried that, I feel like I'm on the right track. So I click the decal button, select the graphic, then the face but then the graphic dissapears and all I have left is the part I'm trying to put it on. I tried it both with the actual sign blank (.100" thick) and also just on an extruded line as a surface, same thing.

Joe

I appreciate the help by the way very much

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 6 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

Probably would help if I attached the image file I used.

Mike

Message 7 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

What version are you using?

Can you post your files here?

Mike

Message 8 of 11
TattooJoe

Sure can.. heres the files I'm using... the "school zone" file is the one that doesn't work. The "look for traffic" file worked just fine.

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 9 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

Both of your image files worked for me.

Can you post your Inventor file?

What version of Inventor do you use?

Mike

Message 10 of 11
TattooJoe

I'm running 2012, we had some technical problems over the weekend into today, we're going to try again tomorrow this the info you guys have given me, if it still doesn't work I'll post my inventor files.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer
Message 11 of 11
TattooJoe

After finishing some other projects this week I was able to come back to this, the steps you suggested worked just fine I appreciate the help again, have a great weekend.

Joe

Joe F.
Project Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report