Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic vs. Custom iParts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MechMan_
337 Views, 2 Replies

iLogic vs. Custom iParts

I wanted to get thoughts on which method might be preferred. I've made custom iParts (been a while though) and I've recently been making some iLogic driven assemblies. I need to make some standard library parts but they require custom entries. If they were fully defined library parts I'd just use iParts.

The tables can get pretty long so doing them as iParts and using Excel sounds faster and easier to create and organize the data. Seems that iLogic would be more difficult adding the standard info but would be more flexible in the end in case I wanted to add to the part "factory" in the future. I'll also add that I'm not an iLogic/VBA guru (yet) so there may be some iLogic points I'm not considering.

Just a open-ended question to see some input from the group.

Thanks.

MechMan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jddickson
in reply to: MechMan_

You can make iParts that have ilogic in them. When using content center you pick your part and you can make it custom. This way you get the best of both worlds.

Check out this link for an example.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/iPart-vs-iLogic/m-p/5000180#M506791

I hope this helps

Message 3 of 3
MechMan_
in reply to: jddickson

Thanks jddickson but what I'm looking for is not the need to incorporate both but which method might be preferred by some. Custom iParts alone will get it done or iLogic alone will get it done. I'm just looking for some pros/cons by some of you to see which method method you'd use if you had the choice and why.

Maybe an example would help. Say you needed to make a structural library part with a custom length and also enter a custom iProperty value. Would you make it a custom iPart or make it an iLogic coded part? Or maybe the answer IS to use the best of both to complete the task. At first I dismissed it but now I'm reconsidering.

MechMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report