Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic Rule for idw drawing

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
fakeru
6965 Views, 21 Replies

iLogic Rule for idw drawing

Hello!

Sitaution: A drawing of a big assembly. In the first (base) view I have colored the parts with different colors.

Question: Can somebody help me with a rule that  makes the parts from the projected views to have the some colors from the base view?

Just a simple example:

Part1 - Red

Part2 - Blue

Part3 - Green

So I need the these parts from the projected views to have the same colors . It would really help me a lot, because I spending a lot of time with big assemblies. 

Or if it is not that easy to make this kind of rule, give me some tips how should I start and what snippets it should contain. I'm new to iLogic and programming, I found it quite difficult...

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: fakeru

HI fakeru,

I'm sure it could be done with iLogic, but I'm not sure it needs to.

Unless I've misunderstood, you can setup View Represenations in your assembly to do this, and then set the projected views to use the same View Rep. as the base view.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 22
Yijiang.Cai

Based on the details from you, could you provide more details how to color the parts in Assembly? Actually there are two ways to color parts -

1. We color the parts with different colors in assembly. When creating base view with shaded style, both of base and project views are colored with the same colors in part. And We can create different presentation views for different colors settings, and the project views are colored with the same colors in base view. Please see the "Shaded.png"

2. We color the parts with different colors in drawing browser. When creating base view, and then change the color within component properties in browser. Please see the "HideLineRemoved.png". If you want to get the project view with the same color in base view, we can leverage the ILogic.

Please let me know what the expected solution you prefer. That I can take the further action.

Thanks,
River Cai

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 4 of 22
mcgyvr
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

I'm with Curtis on this one.. an assembly view rep would accomplish this easily and without the need for any coding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 22
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mcgyvr,

I think the OP want to make dwg / idw views with parts in color but not shaded parts, ie normal 2-D line work.

If color in view reps could be translated to line work in the drawing, that would be perfect. But, I don't kow how to accomplish that. 

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 22
mcgyvr
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:

Mcgyvr,

I think the OP want to make dwg / idw views with parts in color but not shaded parts, ie normal 2-D line work.

If color in view reps could be translated to line work in the drawing, that would be perfect. But, I don't kow how to accomplish that. 

Well then he should have stated that. 🙂 He said he colored the parts..not the lines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 22
Curtis_Waguespack

HI fakeru,

If it is the line color you're asking about, this might helpful:

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/10/changing-drawing-curves-to-match-assembly-color.h...

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 8 of 22
fakeru

sorry guys for not giving enough details about my question.

So i need to color the parts edges.

This is the way I'm doing it:

1.Select the part from a view (fisrt enable the filter "Select Part Priority ")

2.Right click-->Properties --> Color ---> Choose the color

Here are some screenshots 

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/65/unled3cu.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3948/unled4kj.jpg

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/3073/11589937.jpg 

To understand how much I need the solution check out this screenshot:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2624/13787548.jpg 

and this is just medium assembly from my work... 

Message 9 of 22
fakeru
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis, this is good solution for me! thank you very much!

But there is still a small problem. Some parts I don't need to color, but I if run that macro, all the parts are colored according to assembly color... and none of them will be black (as I never make parts black). 

I think the best for me would be that I give the colors in the first view and then the parts properties  are copied to others views.

Thanks!

Alexandru 

Message 10 of 22
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi fakeru, 

I think View Representations will still be a big part of your solution. Rather than manually selecting the components at the drawing level, you should be able to apply color overrides at the assembly level and color your each component just like you want it to apear in the drawing.  Then save that as a View Representation that you use in the drawing view(s). This way you can have parts colored as black for the drawing views, but have them as their "real" color in the assembly.

Then you can use Brian Ekin's routine.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 11 of 22
fakeru
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

yes, this may help. I will try this tomorrow in the office.

thanks!

can you please recommend me the best, shortest, easiest way to learn how to make macros and rules. They are quite the same thing, no?

Message 12 of 22
Curtis_Waguespack

HI fakeru,

If you're looking to start with iLogic (which I think is a good place to start) you can use these tutorials:

iLogic Basics

iLogic - Part Modeling

iLogic - Assemblies

And here are some examples:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/search/label/Autodesk%20Inventor%20iLogic

If you're looking to work with VBA and Inventor's Application Programing Interface (API), here are a couple of links that should get you started:

... the paper below provides a brief overview of Inventor’s programming interface and illustrates this with examples using iProperties.

VBA & Inventor API Introduction (zip - 547Kb)

The following resource will help you get started with programming Inventor. It assumes familiarity with Autodesk Inventor and general programming concepts.

DevTV: Introduction to Inventor Programming

A self-paced video tutorial demonstrating how to get started developing with Autodesk Inventor. 
View online | Download

Check out the Self-Paced Guide “My First Plug-in” presented by the ADN Inventor Team

www.autodesk.com/myfirstinventorplugin

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 13 of 22
Yijiang.Cai

There is one solution using API code to manage the drawing curves within every component in layer.

For example, there are three components in assebmly and create drawing view, this solution will create three layers in style editor for these three components respectively, and the drawing curves in each view projected from the component will be managed in the layer, and the layer's name is the same with the name of component.

Please copy the code in attached text, and paste it in VBA editor within one new drawing, then save it as one template. When the assembly is done, please create drawing views using this template. When the drawing views are done, please run the Macro and you will see the several layers created in style editor. So you can change the color of layer to change the color of drawing curves, which will keep the parts in all the views colored with the same color.

please see the attached image for more details.

Thanks,

River Cai

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 22
fakeru

Unfortunately both scripts don't work properly... Not all the edges are colored (in case of first script) or included in the new layers (in case of the second script). I noticed these edges are tangent edges of the revolution features. In the attachment you can see the screenshot and you will understand. That is a part in the assembly. Any solution?

Message 15 of 22
Yijiang.Cai

I have seen the attached image, and got the issue you show. This Macro does work fine on R2011, and looks that you are using R2012 now. If yes, this is a known issue, and is not reproducible on R2012 SP1 internal build.

When SP1 is released, please have it packaged for a try.

Thanks,
River Cai

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 22
fakeru

yes, I'm using R2012 and there is little chance that I will have SP1 update...

What a shame!Smiley Sad 

Message 17 of 22
fakeru

SP1 fixed the problem! Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 22

Brian Ekins' code uses the following line to set each collected edge to a colored layer:

Call drawView.Parent.ChangeLayer(objColl, colorLayer

I have a problem with this method, because when I try to set the layer of a certain component, Inventor thinks about it for at least 20 minutes.  I don't know if it ever completes the process, because I haven't waited it out.  This is just too long.  If I just right-click the component (in the browser) and select Properties, I can change the color and linetype (see image) and it works immediately without bogging down.

So my question is, how do I write code to automatically change the properties just like I can do manually?  Is there a function I can call instead of ChangeLayer() that will do this, so I don't have to use layers?

Message 19 of 22
cwhetten
in reply to: cwhetten

So, this is what I came up with:

Spoiler

Dim drawViews As DrawingView

For Each drawViews In ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.DrawingViews

occ = drawViews.ReferencedDocumentDescriptor.ReferencedDocument.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences.ItemByName("InsertComponentNameHere")

Dim newColor As Color

newColor = ThisApplication.TransientObjects.CreateColor(0,255,255)

Dim drawcurves As DrawingCurvesEnumerator

drawcurves = drawViews.DrawingCurves(occ)

Dim drawCurve As DrawingCurve

For Each drawCurve In drawcurves

drawCurve.Color() = newColor

Next

Next

This works insofar as it gets around using layers, but I still have the problem of Inventor bogging down changing the color for each edge.  What I need to be able to do is write code that will do the same thing as when I right-click a component, choose Properties, and change the component color (rather than right-clicking a component, choosing "Select as edges" and then Properties > change color).  When done manually, this only takes a second.

Code gurus:  Can this be done?  How?

Message 20 of 22
cwhetten
in reply to: cwhetten

Since this thread has been solved, I decided I really should start a new post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/iLogic-component-edge-color-in-IDW-view/m-p/3325285/...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report